How bad will this hurt me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IBelieveInEli

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sent in my app early. Two years ago, I withdrew Stats 2, got a D in a programming class (recommended for psych majors in my school), and got a C in a psych class. Briefly mentioned my grandfather passing away in PS, and that I couldn't physically attend my classes (programming and stats) and there was miscommunication with the psych professor. Took Stats 2 and got a B-, retook programming and got an A. I can't retake the psych class since the replacement will only replace C- and worse. How much would this hurt the average student?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're otherwise doing fine in your coursework, then maybe Harvard and the Ivies will sneer at you for being altogether human, but I suspect you'll do fine elsewhere. So chill. Must be something in the air...lot of nervous posts today.

Sent in my app early. Two years ago, I withdrew Stats 2, got a D in a programming class (recommended for psych majors in my school), and got a C in a psych class. Briefly mentioned my grandfather passing away in PS, and that I couldn't physically attend my classes (programming and stats) and there was miscommunication with the psych professor. Took Stats 2 and got a B-, retook programming and got an A. I can't retake the psych class since the replacement will only replace C- and worse. How much would this hurt the average student?

Assuming you have a reasonable GPA and MCAT scores a few bad classes will not be a huge red flg or anything for most schools, though obviously it is not a good thing either. Be prepared ot explain those grades when you interview though. It certainly sounds like there were clear reasons for what happened.

if your overall GPA and BCPM GPA are good (3.5 or above), I wouldn't worry. you had 2 bad grades and 1 W, that's really not a big deal