How badly did I screw up? Time to change career paths?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoggyToast123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone. Using an alt account to stay anonymous, but a couple of you guys might recognize me and my story. Any help is appreciated.

I graduated UG in 2018. My stats at the time were mediocre: 3.3ish gpa. 20 DAT (Bio 19 GC 22 OC 21 PAT 22 RC 21 QR 17)

I might've gotten accepted with my stats if I applied broadly (I did get 1 interview using my UG stats). But I just went into a masters program expecting to get straight As, because I had friends who did this and got into top schools.

Here's where the bad stuff happens: The summer before I started my 2yr masters, I had a couple of incidents that threw me into a spiraling depression. The gist of it is: Grandma died, Dad hospitalized from heart attack, Mom got into serious car accident. This all happened within a span of like, 4-5 months. I also started drinking heavily around this time (which probably hurt my academics the most) while having to take care of my family because my dad couldn't lift 10 Lbs and my mother could only use 1 arm (she still needs more plastic surgery on her face).

I probably definitely should've taken a leave from school, but I didn't want to fall more behind so I tried to push through it, and my 1st year of the masters I got like a 2.7-2.8ish.

My third semester, I started to take care of myself a little more, and I got a 3.3 (averaging me out to like a 3.01), and my 4th semester I'm going to finish it up slightly above a 3.6ish. My second year had significantly heavier course loads than my first, esp in my 4th semester.

With my summer classes (full time), I can graduate with a 3.29.

Am I toast? Is it possible that they might put more emphasis on my last 2-3 semesters, or is it time to call quits? I'm not really sure what my options are. I wish I could make the argument that my first year doesn't really define me as a potential student, but.... at the same time it's not like I got all As my 3rd and 4th semester. I've read that you don't stand a chance if you're under a 3.5+ masters, and it's not like they're only going to consider my last 28 credits.

I was studying for a DAT retake hoping that a higher score might help, but it's been really hard to study knowing that I might not have a chance to begin with. I doubt I can go into any sort of healthcare with my masters grades, so I might just have to go back to UG and finish my engineering degree :( .

If it matters, my Ex. Curriculars are strong. (like 400ish hrs of volunteering, 200 hrs of shadowing, worked in 2 different research labs, got an award while I was an assistant, been working 20 hrs/week for a dental clinic the past 2 years, alot of leadership roles, etc).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First, sorry to hear about your parents and grandmother. Hope you're doing better now.
You're not too far away from getting in imo. You were right there. You're gonna have to spin things the right way in your personal statement. Feel free to dm me it if you need a reader. The DAT you're studying for can make a difference. Study hard for that. From my experience applying, they looked at more recent academic success. I only did well academically the year before applying. Doing better, with heavier course loads, in the latter half of your masters will look good. You could add to the argument that you can handle dental school with extra classes at a community college or something. Hope is not lost, do not give up!

Reactions: 1 users
No, you aren't. I finished my 1 year Masters program with a 3.2 GPA, with a 3.1 undergrad GPA. Applying to dental school I had around a 3.15 GPA overall. I ended up getting 2 interviews and 2 acceptances, and now going to be heading into my 3rd year in a few months. All that said, I did get a 24 on my DAT, so I think the super high DAT score helped balance out my super low GPA. If I were you, I would apply this year and roll the dice and would consider retaking the DAT (to be added to the application after). Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
How open about the situation were you with your faculty and program director? You're going to need a letter from them, and they have some insight into which schools accepted their students with similar stats as yours. You need to be sure they can vouch for you and your personal situation in their evaluation letter.

Reactions: 1 users
How open about the situation were you with your faculty and program director? You're going to need a letter from them, and they have some insight into which schools accepted their students with similar stats as yours. You need to be sure they can vouch for you and your personal situation in their evaluation letter.

They know me very well actually, and i'm sure they'd be willing to write me a letter if I asked for one!
I was supposed to be released from the program after 2 semesters of probation, but after I explained my situation (and gave proof in death cert, hospital bills, etc) they told me I had one more semester to bring my oGPA above a 3.0 or i'd be released. I BARELY made it, (it was hard paying for school without financial aid. I feel like a degen having to ask my parents for so much financial help)

they have some insight into which schools accepted their students with similar stats as yours.

tbh, they can't help me much because my program was fitted towards pre-med students, and they are only pre-med advisors. After every appointment, they end the conversation with "but that's only for medicine. I'm not sure about dental". The undergraduate pre-dental advisors they've referred me to haven't been much help either, because they don't know much about masters programs.

First, sorry to hear about your parents and grandmother. Hope you're doing better now.
You're not too far away from getting in imo. You were right there. You're gonna have to spin things the right way in your personal statement. Feel free to dm me it if you need a reader. The DAT you're studying for can make a difference. Study hard for that. From my experience applying, they looked at more recent academic success. I only did well academically the year before applying. Doing better, with heavier course loads, in the latter half of your masters will look good. You could add to the argument that you can handle dental school with extra classes at a community college or something. Hope is not lost, do not give up!

Thanks for the kind words , the encouragement really means alot.

The DAT you're studying for can make a difference

I'll keep this in mind. Studying is alot easier when you know it's not in vain.

Reactions: 1 user

Hey, would it be possible for me to pm you for some advice?