How big of a deal of the research interest match for Master programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilshortguh618

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have always wanted to pursue a PhD in Clinical Psych, but I don't think I will get admitted this year. So now I am thinking about applying for a Master program that has a thesis/license track. I do not know much whether the thesis/license track is possible as this is actually my first time considering the Master's route so any feedback from you would be great.

My main question is how big of a deal is the match between the faculty's research interest and the applicant's interest? I know for sure this was a prominent factor for PhD programs' admissions, but just wonder if it's crucial for Masters.

Also if the statement of purpose similar to the one used for PhD programs where you have to state who you want to work with and what you're interested in?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have always wanted to pursue a PhD in Clinical Psych, but I don't think I will get admitted this year. So now I am thinking about applying for a Master program that has a thesis/license track. I do not know much whether the thesis/license track is possible as this is actually my first time considering the Master's route so any feedback from you would be great.

The masters programs I've read up on appear to fall into one of the following categories:

1. research only with thesis and/or comprehensive exams, no fieldwork component (looks good for going on to PhD, but not licensable, so if you don't later get in to a doctoral program you're screwed)

2. MSW/LPC/MFT training with:
a. thesis
b. comps
c. capstone project or similar
d. none of the above

I'm in CA and this might be specific to my state (which is in fiscal crisis), but if you go to a state school intending to do a thesis, see what kind of faculty support is actually available (talk to other grad students, etc.). In some places, budget cuts means that faculty have less advising time, and students are being discouraged from pursuing theses.

Good luck!

The above is a great reply.

There is less of an upside to clinically-based Masters programs because the credits will most likely not transfer and the most important skills a doctoral program are looking for are in research/stats and not in therapy-related things. It isn't to say those won't help, but most programs take the approach that they can teach the clinical skills as you go along, but they really don't want a large learning curve on the research side because at most programs you will start that work right away. There may be some programs that offer some clinical training AND a thesis w. research experience, but you want to really vet the program to ensure it isn't a "sure you can do research...if you find someone to work with within the program."

Members don't see this ad :)
I am set on doing research more than gaining clinical skills. So should I find faculty at schools that have similar research foci as mine?

I am set on doing research more than gaining clinical skills. So should I find faculty at schools that have similar research foci as mine?

It'd definitely be recommended, even if the interests aren't a perfect match with yours. Having a coherent research "trajectory," and the experience to back it up, is a big plus when it comes to PhD program admissions.

In that case, I recommend a research-based masters (e.g., in experimental psychology) rather than a license-based one. It will serve you better when you apply for the PhD again a few years down the line.

In that case, I recommend a research-based masters (e.g., in experimental psychology) rather than a license-based one. It will serve you better when you apply for the PhD again a few years down the line.

There are some research-based clinical MAs as well (which may or may not offer a path to licensure--the one I'm thinking of in SoCal does not, at least not to my knowledge).

There are some research-based clinical MAs as well (which may or may not offer a path to licensure--the one I'm thinking of in SoCal does not, at least not to my knowledge).

yup. there are. there is a thread on this out for more detail. UCCS has a Clinical Track MA that is "pre-doctoral". They also seem to have good funding for Masters students. There are also several programs that are mixed purpose... to train both predoctoral students and masters level practitioners... Towson and Loyola in Baltimore are examples.

Loyola Chicago has a Community Counseling MA program that has a research orientation, though they have a counseling psychology lens.

If memory serves, UNC-Wilmington offers a clinical MA (license-eligible - at least in NC) and also has genuine research opportunities.