How big of a red flag is consistently High Passing but not Honoring M3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swaggy1090

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am about halfway through my third year, and it's not been going as well as I planned. I did well M1-M2 year (top 15% of class), and very well on Step 1 (260). I have decent research, will probably have 7-8 full publications (5-6 in derm) by ERAS time next year if I dont take year off for research. For whatever reason, I just can't seem to honor my rotations. I do relatively well, and have been High Passing everything with the exception of a pass in OBGYN, but just can't seem to get it together to honor one yet. I feel like I keep being very close, like consistently at the top 12-15% mark, but honors is only top 10% at my school, and requires 90+ on shelf plus near perfect evals. I think I missed H on surgery by like half a percent. If I end up with like 1 H 4 HP 1 P am I screwed? I know my derm department really well, do research with two different mentors, and work with another derm attending monthly in a Latino clinic (I speak Spanish), so I am hoping that + Step + research can help me out. I'm not trying to match anywhere legit, I just want to match period haha.

Members don't see this ad.

So I am about halfway through my third year, and it's not been going as well as I planned. I did well M1-M2 year (top 15% of class), and very well on Step 1 (260). I have decent research, will probably have 7-8 full publications (5-6 in derm) by ERAS time next year if I dont take year off for research. For whatever reason, I just can't seem to honor my rotations. I do relatively well, and have been High Passing everything with the exception of a pass in OBGYN, but just can't seem to get it together to honor one yet. I feel like I keep being very close, like consistently at the top 12-15% mark, but honors is only top 10% at my school, and requires 90+ on shelf plus near perfect evals. I think I missed H on surgery by like half a percent. If I end up with like 1 H 4 HP 1 P am I screwed? I know my derm department really well, do research with two different mentors, and work with another derm attending monthly in a Latino clinic (I speak Spanish), so I am hoping that + Step + research can help me out. I'm not trying to match anywhere legit, I just want to match period haha.

I had a similar issue as a medical student. I think it cost me a fair # of interviews. At my school, clinical grades were the main determinant of AOA status so it was a double whammy.

Really nothing you can do at this point but work harder to honor the rest of your rotations.

I think some honest introspection makes a big difference. I always attributed my lack of honors on being an introvert and being quiet. As I moved on to become an intern and a resident, I could definitely see a difference between a student performing at an honors level and what I had done as a medical student. I would look to emulate those in your class who are honoring their rotations, even if it means pushing yourself beyond your comfort zone (I made a conscious effort as a resident and even in early feedback as an attending to be more talkative and more empathetic. Fair or not, I think presenting yourself with a warmer, friendlier, more talkative facade really makes you a better physician. Or at least grading physicians and patients seem to think so)

I had a similar issue as a medical student. I think it cost me a fair # of interviews. At my school, clinical grades were the main determinant of AOA status so it was a double whammy.

Really nothing you can do at this point but work harder to honor the rest of your rotations.

I think some honest introspection makes a big difference. I always attributed my lack of honors on being an introvert and being quiet. As I moved on to become an intern and a resident, I could definitely see a difference between a student performing at an honors level and what I had done as a medical student. I would look to emulate those in your class who are honoring their rotations, even if it means pushing yourself beyond your comfort level (I made a conscious effort as a resident and even in early feedback as an attending to be more talkative and more empathetic. Fair or not, I think presenting yourself with a warmer, friendlier, more talkative facade really makes you a better physician. Or at least grading physicians and patients seem to think so)

I’m not doing Derm but this thread was featured and I love this response. OP I don’t doubt that this will hurt a bit, but at the end of the day, it’s an opportunity to improve and I’m sure you’ll still match Derm regardless.

I think some honest introspection makes a big difference. I always attributed my lack of honors on being an introvert and being quiet. As I moved on to become an intern and a resident, I could definitely see a difference between a student performing at an honors level and what I had done as a medical student. I would look to emulate those in your class who are honoring their rotations, even if it means pushing yourself beyond your comfort level (I made a conscious effort as a resident and even in early feedback as an attending to be more talkative and more empathetic. Fair or not, I think presenting yourself with a warmer, friendlier, more talkative facade really makes you a better physician. Or at least grading physicians and patients seem to think so)

Thanks a lot, that's encouraging :) . I have actually gotten really good evals and clinical scores on some rotations, but then I just dont do as well on that shelf, or then I do really well on a shelf but have only fair evals on that rotation. Just can't seem to put it all together in the same rotation for some reason haha! But I'm not trying to go to Harvard, I will be happy to match anywhere, and hopefully my connection with multiple faculty members here will help when it comes time for letters and them going to bat for me.