How big of a rush should I be in to go to med school?

• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!
Oct 31, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi everyone,

I'm in a sort of unique position in that I'm a 25 year old career changer on the path towards med school. I'll have completed my pre-req courses by Spring 21 and have already accrued a significant amount of service and clinical hours. I'm interested in pursing a career in FM or some type of primary care.

My bigger question is if it okay to defer applying to med school for a year or two. I'm in the awesome position where I received my dream job not related to medicine for the Summer 21 season that would require moving states and I can see myself staying in this state long term. This state requires two years of residency to apply so I'm looking at applying in 2023 rather than 2021. I'm in a comfortable financial situation so I'm not particularly worried about money or lost income in the future. My bigger fear is that I lose continuity in my application. I think I would regret long term not taking this position but I am also SO passionate about medicine so I feel super conflicted.

Thank you for any advice you might have.

couldbeawinchester

Do these tacos taste funny to you?
Jun 24, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Keep up with some ECs (like volunteering or something) during your off time and make yourself happy. Do not rush medical school if it means missing out on a great opportunity.

Reactions: 1 user

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
How committed are you to going to medical school? That will be a question if you take and hold an unrelated job for a few years and then fall back on the coursework you took years earlier and apply to medical school.

While you are looking at an instate application to a target state, are you aware that most applicants apply to 15 schools -or more! - and almost no one limits their applications to a single state if they are strategic about it (Texans might be the exception to the rule).

So, be prepared to have questions raised about your commitment to medicine and be aware of the fact that honing in on a single state school is not a good strategy and that you'll need to apply broadly and be prepared to relocate for med school and again for residency.

About the Ads
Oct 31, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Thanks so much for the quick reply! The position itself is only from April-October, so I could return to a clinical job (I'm a CNA) after that. I totally understand not setting my sights on a single school. My bigger worry is that it seemed that many non-trads need the boost from a state school to get an acceptance. It seemed unwise to go through a whole application cycle without having eligibility at my state school.

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Hi everyone,

I'm in a sort of unique position in that I'm a 25 year old career changer on the path towards med school. I'll have completed my pre-req courses by Spring 21 and have already accrued a significant amount of service and clinical hours. I'm interested in pursing a career in FM or some type of primary care.

My bigger question is if it okay to defer applying to med school for a year or two. I'm in the awesome position where I received my dream job not related to medicine for the Summer 21 season that would require moving states and I can see myself staying in this state long term. This state requires two years of residency to apply so I'm looking at applying in 2023 rather than 2021. I'm in a comfortable financial situation so I'm not particularly worried about money or lost income in the future. My bigger fear is that I lose continuity in my application. I think I would regret long term not taking this position but I am also SO passionate about medicine so I feel super conflicted.

Thank you for any advice you might have.
The answer to this question can only be answered by you. You should apply when you have the best possible app.

med schools aren't going anywhere, and,in fact, by the time you apply, more will have opened thier doors (after COVID is over, rather).

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.