How broadly to apply to Post-Bacs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ANF1986

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying in the Philadelphia area. I'm currently a senior, graduating in May with a non-science degree. So the purpose of me applying to post-bacs is to fulfill my pre-reqs and avoid the glide year. I was a little off on what my GPA consisted of...The following stats are as of the beginning of Fall semester, they will obviously be changing throughout this year but this is what they will see at time of application.

Stats:
GPA: 3.4
BCPM: 3.16
SATs: N/A
High School GPA: I didn't even know you got a GPA in high school. I rarely went to high school, I was extremely lucky to graduate. Class rank was somewhere aroun 300/350, lol...
Volunteering: Various organizations, medically related volunteering.
Shadowing: In progress right now.

Post-Bacs

UPenn
Temple
Bryn Mawr
West Chester
LaSalle

Can anyone suggest any other post-bac programs to apply to? I am open to moving from the area if it is a solid program with linkages.

Members don't see this ad.

Goucher and Scripps are other great programs that you can look into if you're interested in doing a post-bac program. Just out of curiousity, what classes did you take that constituted a BCPM?

Also, these programs do take high school grades into account. BM, Goucher, and Scripps are very difficult to get into, so this might be an issue if your high school grades and standardized test scores are low.

Goucher and Scripps are other great programs that you can look into if you're interested in doing a post-bac program. Just out of curiousity, what classes did you take that constituted a BCPM?

Also, these programs do take high school grades into account. BM, Goucher, and Scripps are very difficult to get into, so this might be an issue if your high school grades and standardized test scores are low.

My science&math classes...

Bio 101
Bio 102
Human Bio
Concepts of Bio
College Math

My high school grades are atrocious...I missed on average, 60 days a year in high school. I'm trying to get some grade forgiveness here. I certainly made a lot of mistakes when I was younger, and wouldn't even consider myself the same person. From high school to know there has been a steady and consistent upward trend, and I expect as the year goes on for it to continue to rise.

I was planning to address this issue in my personal statement. I dont know if this is a wise decision however. Is this dangerous to do? Should I ignore it, address it briefly. The consensus on the board seems to be NOT to draw attention to weaknesses and to focus on strengths. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad :)
These programs are looking mainly for a commitment to medicine and the ability to succeed. What are you doing currently? I think you should definitely address your strengths, and it can't hurt to apply. But at the same time, the big programs are very selective because they are looking for people who will succeed. And it is difficult to convey that with previous downfalls. I would maybe address is slightly (but it really should be tied in to your story of how you came to medicine, and only briefly mentioned, if that). Otherwise, you could always save it for a later time...IMHO.

Hey,
Where are some good programs for those that have low GPA?

These programs are looking mainly for a commitment to medicine and the ability to succeed. What are you doing currently? I think you should definitely address your strengths, and it can't hurt to apply. But at the same time, the big programs are very selective because they are looking for people who will succeed. And it is difficult to convey that with previous downfalls. I would maybe address is slightly (but it really should be tied in to your story of how you came to medicine, and only briefly mentioned, if that). Otherwise, you could always save it for a later time...IMHO.

Yea honestly I'm not even the same person that I was in high school. I think it's a little bit ridiculous that I'll be penalized for performance in high school when I was a KID. Not everyone utilizes their potential from the day they are born. Thank you for the advice though. I think I can tie in why my previous performance was poor, or perhaps allude to it indirectly in telling my story, relating it to maturity and such.

Im currently engaged in shadowing two specialties and volunteering at a hospital.

Hey,
Where are some good programs for those that have low GPA?

How low? I believe the pre-med post-bacs are going to have a significantly higher cut off and higher standards than special science post-bacs for people who already have their pre-reqs completed. The reason is pretty simple, that pre-med postbacs are really designed for career changers, and not necessarily for people who have always thought of medicine but have lower grades. So the premed postbacs expect strong students who are just seeking a different path in life now, not necessarily people who need a last ditch effort to get into med school.

I have a 2.75 GPA. Should I do an informal program until I can get a reasonable GPA?? and then maybe attend a SMP? I have completed most required classes except phy 2 and labs.

I have a 2.75 GPA. Should I do an informal program until I can get a reasonable GPA?? and then maybe attend a SMP? I have completed most required classes except phy 2 and labs.

Yea...I doubt you will get into any formal programs that have a linkage with that kind of an undergrad culm. I would try doing an informal post-bac, get that GPA to at least a 3.0, possibly take the MCATs at that point, and then apply SMP. Do you have any volunteering experience, ECs, etc. I mean something that might compensate or explain your unusually low undergrad GPA. For instance, although my uGPA is a 3.4, I have been employed since the time I started college and originally had to make adjustments in the beginning to figure out how to manage my time better. I'll be touching on that in my personal statement and hopefully explaining why its not as high as it should be.