How broke are you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How broke are you?

• Less than $100 in checking account, can't afford any Christmas presents, still drinking Busch light.

Votes: 58 27.8%
  • I can pay my bills on time.

Votes: 108 51.7%
  • I drive an Explorer that was made after 2001.

Votes: 14 6.7%
  • I'm sippin on kris while talking to my chaffeur in my limo.

Votes: 29 13.9%

• Total voters

chef_NU

G-Unit
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Rarr

Members don't see this ad.

I'm so broke we're having thanksgiving turkey for christmas dinner. ;)

racerx said:
I'm so broke we're having thanksgiving turkey for christmas dinner.

Interesting... we are too. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so rich that I be drankin' some kris even when I'm takin a piss

j/k I'm poor

Soo broke! I am paying for the whole application process (MCATs and AMCAS to all of my secondaries, interviews and travel) myself. It took 2 summers to save up enough money just to get me through my applications, 2 interviews and Christmas gifts.

I asked for money this year from my family for Xmas...and yay, I have two credit card bills to pay off (plane flights, hotel rooms for interviews) and then rent, groceries, bills and 2 more interviews in Jan and Feb.

bah humbug! lol :laugh:

I work full-time and I thought I was doing fine - I deliberately chose *not* to add up the money I've spent on the MCAT, AMCAS, applications, interviews, etc - I just know it runs into several thousand dollars.

But, now that I know I'm going to be unemployed for four years of medical school, I'm officially flat-broke because I'm going to need every cent I can possibly save. I'm over-40 and, while we all want to keep our debt to a minimum, I think over-40 should qualify as a "special need." I mean, I won't be able to afford even the bare minimum maintenance required to keep me from falling apart on what's budgeted for "personal expenses"!

with whats in my wallet I can almost buy a filet-o-fish meal at McCrappyfood.... I mean donald, McDonald, yeah.

have 3 bucks in my account, but i expect more comin on the 25th, spent all my money on new snowboard and new bindings.

just curious, does driving a ford make you more or less broke than being able to pay your bills on time? :laugh:

What is kris?

Is that imitation Roederer Cristal :laugh: ?

i can pay my bills on time, but that's because i have like 3 grand of med school related expenses on my (temporarily) zero interest credit card. time to ask the 'rents for money to pay that off.... i've been living on my own for a couple of years. feel like such a mooch asking my parents for money, even thought they said they'd pay.

I deposited a $277 check in my account on Monday. Its sole purpose is to go to buying Christmas presents.

On Sunday, I had $45 worth of charges- six charges altogether, one being for a scantron to take a final: 20 cents.

Six overdraft fees @ $33 a pop.

That's $198 worth of overdraft fees.

I already spent $59 for buying stuff to make cupcakes for an office Christmas party. Haven't started shopping for Christmas yet. Yes, I know it's on Sunday.
----
----
----

Damn. There goes Christmas. What's really terrible is that I had the check to deposit on Thursday.
Freakin A.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not particularly broke right now, but I'm knee deep in loans and I still have 3 more years to go before medschool, lol right?

I'm so poor I can't even afford the R.

I had to take a loan out in order to be able to apply to residency and do interviews!

I'm so broke I reuse toilet paper.
Wash it and hang it to dry...don't ask how it's my secret.

I'm so broke I eat cereal with a fork to save the milk.

At one time I was so broke that when my alarm clock went on the fritz I resorted to just drinking lots of water before bed. :laugh:

oh boy, I am too..... yikes... we really ARE poor!

kimmcauliffe said:
Interesting... we are too. :laugh:

Asherlauph said:
I deposited a $277 check in my account on Monday. Its sole purpose is to go to buying Christmas presents.

On Sunday, I had $45 worth of charges- six charges altogether, one being for a scantron to take a final: 20 cents.

Six overdraft fees @ $33 a pop.

That's $198 worth of overdraft fees.

I already spent $59 for buying stuff to make cupcakes for an office Christmas party. Haven't started shopping for Christmas yet. Yes, I know it's on Sunday.
----
----
----

Damn. There goes Christmas. What's really terrible is that I had the check to deposit on Thursday.
Freakin A.

Dude, call your bank and get them erased. If you have never had them before (or even if you have) they are often sympathetic if you play dumb. Especially if you got multiple fees without being notified that you were being charged them. It has worked for me a couple times.

Merry Christmas :-(

There needs to be an option in here that includes "ridiculous amount of credit card debt but can still pay my bills on time" - or something like that!!! :eek:

My net worth is about -$65k already. Wait, it's about -$75K (most of which are credit card debt)

Its_MurDAH said:
I'm so rich that I be drankin' some kris even when I'm takin a piss

j/k I'm poor
I got the joke... and the misspelling of cris gave you away before you the j/k part! :p

Wait, this poll needs to include some sort of option for being really in debt but also having money in the bank.

And a whole lot of guilt... :scared:

So poor I had to downgrade from Natty Ice to Pabst.

I'm not broke yet, but soon will be cuz I'm going to Vegas in about 6 hours! I'm hoping to win some money for tuition. If not, screw it cuz I go to a state school.

seriously i am so broke 8 of my 10 xmas list items are books...no i kid you not. i put my med books for next semester on my wish list so i know i dont haveto scramble about for them nor shell out the 400 odd bucks for them.
hohoho merry damn xmas...ill be so angry when i haveto shelf them - i hope they arnt gift-wrapped - that would really tick me off...

DieselPetrolGrl said:
seriously i am so broke 8 of my 10 xmas list items are books...no i kid you not. i put my med books for next semester on my wish list so i know i dont haveto scramble about for them nor shell out the 400 odd bucks for them.
hohoho merry damn xmas...ill be so angry when i haveto shelf them - i hope they arnt gift-wrapped - that would really tick me off...

2 years ago I begged for a new backpack. Mine was full of holes (which I was tired of stapling shut!) :laugh:

SailCrazy said:
I got the joke... and the misspelling of cris gave you away before you the j/k part! :p

yo, **** rich people$

There also should be an option for "If I mail this bill on this day, it should get there in time for the 'due by' date, but not too soon to bounce" bill paying...its on time, but, not as comfortable as "I can pay my bills on time"!!

Not too broke, but boy did my CC bills explode this month. :( Did some shopping for myself, Christmas shopping, trip to visit the fiancee, and some miscellaneous = tons of money. I can't wait for my tax return though!

UCLA2000 said:
2 years ago I begged for a new backpack. Mine was full of holes (which I was tired of stapling shut!) :laugh:
I was determined to make my HS backpack last all the way through college, but my fiancee bought me a new one. It had holes, thin padding, and a few stains from salt, mud, and whatever spilled inside the bag, but it had a lot of capacity. The laptop sleeve in my new bag is pretty nice though....

TheProwler said:
I was determined to make my HS backpack last all the way through college, but my fiancee bought me a new one. It had holes, thin padding, and a few stains from salt, mud, and whatever spilled inside the bag, but it had a lot of capacity. The laptop sleeve in my new bag is pretty nice though....

I'm dead set on making my HS backpack last med school. So far: 4 yr HS, 4 yr college, 9 mo backpacking Europe, 1.5 yr backpacking Asia. The North Face makes some durable swag!

TheMightyAngus said:
I'm dead set on making my HS backpack last med school. So far: 4 yr HS, 4 yr college, 9 mo backpacking Europe, 1.5 yr backpacking Asia. The North Face makes some durable swag!
ah, I had but a Jansport, and a thin one at that. I now have a North Face (I never would've spent $80 for a backpack, but she bought it for me....), and I can't see it ever giving out.

TheProwler said:
ah, I had but a Jansport, and a thin one at that. I now have a North Face (I never would've spent $80 for a backpack, but she bought it for me....), and I can't see it ever giving out.

haha is it the north face "recon" lol

RECNABLU.jpg

my backpack is a free pharm bag...how med am i...i need to start using my actual purple backpack...wait now i want a northface camping bag!

too late...i think i am getting neuroscience intro to from my little sister!