How can a Psychiatrist maximize his full income potential?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

habbohomer

Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, I'm not really sure where else to ask.

Hey guys. Currently I am a pre med student looking for some guidance. I am really into psychiatry and it's my top choice in terms of the specialty I want to pursue. The problem is, it seems as though I'll finish medical school with roughly $450K of student debt worst case scenario. Looking at average psychiatrist salaries, it seems like I'll be in debt for longer than I thought.

So my question is, what can I do, if I decide to pursue psychiatry, to maximize my income and neutralize my potential debt? Also can anyone link me a statistic to the growth of psychiatrist income per year as I'm many years off from actually practicing.

It's not that I'm money hungry or anything, but I want to start a family at/near the end of my residency and I think it'll be tough to do so when my income might be too low.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you get intentionally stupid with your finances, you’ll have no problem paying off your loans, I promise. And if you do get stupid with your finances...well, that’s why God made accountants.

Op is right. It's a big commitment and the time spent becoming an attending physician. I don't know if I'd do it again with that much debt involved and ever increasing government regulations trying to quash private practice.

Reactions: 1 user
You’d probably make a very good anesthesiologist, too. Make some money. Pay off loans. Go back and become a psychiatrist later.

You’d probably make a very good anesthesiologist, too. Make some money. Pay off loans. Go back and become a psychiatrist later.
It's weird you say that. Sometimes I browse the anesthesiology forum and I mistake it for a forum for day-traders. What's the deal with anesthesiologists and money? They seem to have a lot and want more. And they seem to have impulsive tendencies on how to achieve that.

Currently I am a pre med student
Currently, there are certainly options for making a significant amount of money in psychiatry. Will there be 9 years from now when you're out of residency? Maybe, probably, but who knows what will happen to healthcare in this time?

Reactions: 1 users
Currently, there are certainly options for making a significant amount of money in psychiatry. Will there be 9 years from now when you're out of residency? Maybe, probably, but who knows what will happen to healthcare in this time?
So what are some of those options?

Expect to make anywhere between 200k to 400k, depending how much you want to work...

Reactions: 1 user
Expect to make anywhere between 200k to 400k, depending how much you want to work...

Locums seems to average 180-200/hr. Perhaps more if you do corrections or another less than enjoyable location.

Doing locums you should easily be able to hit 4-500k without having to do intern level hours.

Reactions: 1 users
Locums seems to average 180-200/hr. Perhaps more if you do corrections or another less than enjoyable location.

Doing locums you should easily be able to hit 4-500k without having to do intern level hours.
From what I understand of locums, is it really heavy on travel? I'm trying to personally stay grounded to start a family.

From what I understand of locums, is it really heavy on travel? I'm trying to personally stay grounded to start a family.

I dont think that's the case. There are locums assignments all over the country. You just find assignments in your region.

Nothing good
More mid-levels
Medicare for all?