How can augmented reality technology improve surgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrbitalOverload

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
as a first line I'd imagine it would be useful from an education standpoint, to better understand anatomy, and to get rid of gross lab which is a massive cost and time suck. From a more sophisticated stantpoint I could see it being slightly useful for preoperative planning. I'm having a hard time thinking of exactly how you'd use it intraop currently though I could imagine some sort of HUD combo with the robot making things like robotic liver resections or robot gallbladders a little bit safer or something

Hey all,

I recently ran across the Microsoft HoloLens (see link), which is a headset that enables the user to participate in *augmented reality*, which is basically a combination of reality and virtual reality. There are a lot of ways to use the device, and I was really curious to hear thoughts about it from the surgical community. Can this be applied to surgery in any useful ways? If you think so, what current problems in surgery can this tackle. What problems does it potentially introduce?

Thanks for your input! Hope to have a lively discussion on this one!

Orbital

I've got a few iddas of how it could be applied, but I'd rather patent them than post them publicly.