How can doctors help people?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tdod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll pose my question like this: By working my ass of and becoming a doctor, how will I be improving the life of anyone other than myself? Obviously, the work done by a doctor is helpful for the patient... but if I don't become a doctor, then means someone else will be accepted into medical school in my place.

In other words: can I actually help anyone by becoming a doctor?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you can be a better doctor than the person who'd take your spot in medical school and end up helping more people ;)

I'll pose my question like this: By working my ass of and becoming a doctor, how will I be improving the life of anyone other than myself? Obviously, the work done by a doctor is helpful for the patient... but if I don't become a doctor, then means someone else will be accepted into medical school in my place.

I don't know if I quite follow your train of thought :confused: If you become a doctor, you can help someone yes because you will be treating patients and hopefully making life better for them. What does someone else getting your spot if you don't go to medical school have to do with it?

Members don't see this ad :)

You do more than the guy would have gone if you didn't. You give more of yourself (time, money, compassion) and/or you just do the job better.

There is nothing medical school drives home quite as much as the difference between a good doctor and someone who is going through the motions.

You will definitely help people as a doctor.

I think you are trying to pose the question as to whether or not you will make a difference as a doctor.

Working your ass off to become a doctor involves helping patients during M3 and M4.

That's an interesting perspective you have...

I'm assuming that your actual question is not whether you will help people as a doctor, but whether you will make a difference by choosing to become one. Provided I'm interpreting your post correctly, the answer to your question is "yes"; you can actually help people and you can make a difference as a doctor.

If you don't get accepted into medical school and you're replaced by another student, does that make you both the same? Does every human being think, reason, and operate in the same exact way or are we each unique and approach situations differently? No doctor is the same; one may make a mistake of inducing cancer within his/her patients while another may one day discover a cure. The concept is universal and applies not only to the medical field, but to all areas.

What if a man named Vint Cerf decided not to pursue a career in computer science because he believed another would accomplish everything he could? There's a possibility SDN wouldn't exist.

Last edited:
electronicbomb-big-bang-theory-gifs-11042012-01.gif

I'm... not understanding your train of thought...

I would think about what you want to contribute to the field of medicine specifically. I, for example, want to work as a primary care physician and conduct research. I also plan to volunteer my services to the uninsured and medically under served. If you think about the goals you have as a physician and know you would commit to fulfilling those goals you know you will make a difference in the world. Whether it is more or less than the person you replaced is up for debate.

Sounds OP might be a philosophy major.

Your question reminds me of the great jazz musician Louis Armstrong, who, when asked "what is jazz?", answered "if you have to ask, you won't understand".

If you haven't shadowed a doctor yet, it's time to start.

If you're looking for some heavy philosophizing on the subject, read writings by doctors who work with addicts, the homeless, the terminally ill, or primary care docs in rural or urban underserved areas. If there's something to be said for combating a feeling of futility, they'll say it.

I'm reading In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts right now. It's written by a family practice MD, Gabor Mate, who works with drug addicts in Vancouver. He expressed the feeling you seem to be addressing in your post. It's something he focuses on quite heavily throughout the book. "What have I to offer this young Native woman whose three decades of life bear the compressed torment of generations? An anti-depressant capsule every morning, to be dispensed with her methadone, and half an hour of my time once or twice a month."

Personally, I'm an idealistic and starry-eyed pre-med. I'm reading stuff like this in order to come to grips with the fact that being a physician apparently does not equal curing every patient with whom you cross paths. I guess I've settled on the fact that there is important and worthwhile work to be done, even if you can't "save" everyone. Providing help can mean a lot of different things.

yes you will help people if you become a doctor. if you don't someone else will.

Heh I'll play devil's advocate.

Depending on the field, for many if not most pts, you wont be helping them at all.

The few you do actually do help you'll come to treasure.

There are so many pts who shouldn't even be in the hospital in the first place or who only stand to get worse from adding another treatment regimen/medication. Not to mention all the chronic medical conditions that are essentially self-inflicted. Most pts aren't interested in what will help them but rather what is easiest and what makes them feel better, regardless of outcome.

-Medicine is show business for ugly people.

You can help people by becoming anything, but the fact that you choose medicine is that: this is what will most likely make you happy.