How can I be a Doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hamster

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
No seriously, After medical school, clerkships, fellowships and residencies...how do you go about getting a job?
I never see any Wanted ads saying, " One board certified physician needed at local hospital, salary commensurate upon experience" ;)
Are positions filled by yet another match/AMCAS process? Or is employment strictly by word of mouth/connections? Or.. Perhaps I just subscribe to the wrong newspaper :rolleyes: I would love to look at a link to some large database that lists physician openings.
FYI: I am curious because I am a finishing up my neurosurgery residency and have no idea what to do next .......

;) Ha Just Kidding! I will be a MSI this fall. I am asking only out of curiousity. Please respond anyway!

Members don't see this ad.

Often your residency director will help in your search for a job. The specialty you decide to pursue will also have academies and journals which you can subsribe to and there are job listings there. Recruiters go to academy meetings and send information to residency directors as well. Connections are probably one of the best ways that young physicians get their first jobs. Of course I'm not lucky enough to be that far in my career, so this isn't based upon personal experience, but rather based upon what I've seen and heard.

Most of the major medical journals (and minor) have job listings- including open residency spots. Nejm.com and Jama.com have lots of classifieds (IM of course). You can also search for Physician recruiters- there are numerous web sites.....they are useful especially if your not planning on practicing in the town as your residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Recruiters, Who you know?!! This is ridiculous! You mean to tell me my life is nothing but an extended version of Hoop Dreams? :mad: Soooo now I see what the hoopla about 'good residencies' amounts to...good jobs.
Hey!! What if I do exceptionally well on my USMLE (300's ;) if that is even possible), obtain several excellent recs..( one being from the surgeon general) not to mention graduate medical school with...oh say a 3.9 ( had a bit of trouble with Biochem ;) ) Is there a possiblity I can be 'recruited write out of a residency? Like in the 2nd year of a Peds residency for example?

There are a few online MD job sites. Here are some that I have found.

Career MD

Med Hunters

MD Jobsite

Doc Jobs

I think monster.com also has a healthcare section.

Most people find the job they want through word of mouth and their residency director. Many places will fax job opportunites to the residency directors. Also, most specialties have organization web sites that list jobs. Along, with the other things people said, that about covers it.

Also, there is the old fax your CV to every group you can find method.

If you tell us what specialty you are specifically interested in, we may have more advice. That is if you know now.

Thank you for all of info.
--GreatPumpkin : No, Unfortunately I do not know what specialty I would like to pursue. But it seems like it pays (literally) to decide early. The more I discover about "life after medical school acceptance" the more pressure I feel pick a specialty and work towards it. Do you suggest this?
I have always believed in doing what you like. If that is the case, then I would chose gen surgery, one of the specialties or some related field like Emergency Medicine ( because I like what I see working in the Main OR).... But then I am a female, and would like children someday.... sigh :( Who knows, maybe I will be another Derm follower. I am trying to keep an open mind
Anyway, I just wanted a general overview of obtaining a job as a physician.. Just to prepare myself. Yes, Yes I know it is a little early..at least seven years early :) , but I don't want to be surprised ...like how I was for the medical admission's process ( My junior year of undergrad I had no idea what AMCAS was ...seriously :(

You certainly do not need to know what you want to do early. I didn't make my final choice until my 2nd rotation of MS4. I was finally down to two choices at the end of MS3. Prior to that I was open to anything, except a surgical specialty. The only real advantage to knowing early, besides piece of mind, is you can make contacts in the dept and get recommendation letters early. Though this can still be done easily during 4th year. With the Electronic Residency Application most specialties use now, it really is a breeze to get your stuff done.

Your rotations during MS3 will surely help you decide.

Most residents don't start actively looking for jobs until the start of their last year. But, I would say the ones with the most success were all good at "networking" all throughout their residency. Joining and attending the your specialty states professional meetings is a great career move. Probably the national meetings as well. Finding a job is really not as tough as maybe you seem to think. Path is supposedly one of the toughest, but all the residents I met during my interviews and at my school have had no trouble. Most have multiple offers.

I've noticed that some hospitals websites will have postings of physicians they are in need of. So if you are interested in a certain hospital, then look for their web page and enjoy the surf. :p :eek:

Also there is a place called http://www.healthcarejobstore.com I don't know if it's up to date or anything, but it has positions from ALL aspects of healthcare.
:cool: