How can I be a Pharmacy Technician?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Williamlh1982

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe this question is known to all, and I have searched FAQ or Internet, but no result. Moreover the website of Florida board of Pharmacy does not include "PTCB" or "PTCE". So I need some help~

I am a foreigner here, located in Miami florida. I have got a Master degree in a not-industry-friendly major, and I am thinking to find a job as Pharmacy Technician(not Pharmacist), since my major in undergraduate is Pharmaceutical Science when I was in my home-country.

My question is:
1.how could I be a Pharmacy Technician in Florida? I need some procedure for guiding.
2.Do I need to take some required special training courses?
3.Do I need to take certification exam, like PTCB? and Am I qualify to take PTCB?
4.After I passed the exam, Does that mean I can apply a job as Pharmacy Technician?
5.What is the difference between Pharmacy Technician and Pharmacy Aides.

Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Just start applying to pharmacy tech positions around your area. Walgreens, CVS, or whatever. With your Master's degree, you are more than qualified. Perhaps search job sites such as Monster.com or just visit the local pharmacys and ask for a job application. Make sure to give them your resume.

2. No

3. Yes you are qualified. Taking it is up to you. The PTCB's exam is extremely easy if you understand how to use math and for me, only required a few days studying without any pharm tech experience.

4. If you pass the PTCB exam, employers may look at you more favorably.

5. I dont know.

Thank you for your reply so soon~
I heard from this forum that, as a Pharmacy Tech I must get licenced or certified~
Is that required in Florida~I know the policy is different in different states. So I want to make sure.

I don't know if Florida requires techs to be licensed; however, maybe this site would be useful: http://www.pharmacytechnician.org/ If you scroll down, there is a 'contact us' block on the left.

The easiest way to find out is probably just to walk up to your local pharmacy and ask the technicians there what they had to do to get their jobs--- pass the PTCE, or get a license, or just fill out an application and pass a criminal background check, whatever.

Best of luck to you!