How can i be the best competitive DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saregamapadanis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yea , i didn't even start med school... maybe its too early in the game, but if you have some spare time please give me some advice on what some one who is going into his first year (in 2008) can do when it comes to becoming the "cream of the crop" so to speak.

Members don't see this ad.

Just try and do the best you can. Try if you can to get a good class rank, this may depend on the school, as some only are pass/fail for first year or so. Otherwise do what the rest of us are doing, try and stay afloat and learn as much as you can to help your future classes and to help your boards end of second year.

Yea , i didn't even start med school... maybe its too early in the game, but if you have some spare time please give me some advice on what some one who is going into his first year (in 2008) can do when it comes to becoming the "cream of the crop" so to speak.
Get 1st Aid and annotate it as you go through each system. Listen to corresponding Goljan audio for each system as well. Read robbins and do questions from Robbin's Path review book. This should be a good start. :)

Members don't see this ad :)

4.0 GPA. Honors in all rotations.

Do the above with without being an A-hole gunner. For instance, dont complain to a prof that giving back points on a bad question from a test will lower your rank. That sort of thing gets your glabella knocked in.

Peace.

Besides graduating? Rock the USMLE. Nothing more, nothing less.

I would add in addition to rocking your classes and boards, you have to get out there and meet people in the profession, especially in the specialty you end up choosing to pursue. Getting a great vs. good LOR requires actually knowing the writer to some degree, and I hear on SDN all the time that residency directors aren't just looking for great boards, they are also looking for people who they will want to work with as colleagues. It really sounds like a good-ole-boys network...if you don't know the PD, you better have one of his friends vouching for you, so to speak.

Besides graduating? Rock the USMLE. Nothing more, nothing less.

Agree. To be a competitive DO, be at top of your class, rock USMLE step 1 and 2! I can't emphasize it enough how important it is to take USMLE. It's worth the money and effort.

steal and rip all shared notes from other students, mutilate other people's cadavers, and sabotage everything you can to make your's look good.

For your help and consideration, I thank you all... do you think it is too early to start studying for USMLE?

steal and rip all shared notes from other students, mutilate other people's cadavers, and sabotage everything you can to make your's look good.

Beware of the dark side young padawan.

For your help and consideration, I thank you all... do you think it is too early to start studying for USMLE?

Unless you're currently a PA who is going back to med school or someone who got an MD from another country.... it is beyond early to even ask that.

If you absolutely want to start gunning and not take the advice of just relax this year, there are two things I'll recommend.

If you haven't had one, take an anatomy course at a local college with cadaver lab. I did that, and while it only scratched the surface of what we need to know in medical school, it helped a lot to know the muscles and major vessels on the cadaver already so I could concentrate on all the teeny tiny obscure stuff.

Also, a medical terminology class is helpful. You'll learn all that stuff along the way, but once again its just something that I found was very helpful to already know.

One more thing. I can't emphasize enough what an above poster said about not being the a-hole gunner. You can be a gunner just as well without bragging about your grades, and just being an overall d-bag. You don't want to be hated by your class. You will have to spend way too much time with them.

Ok, children. Here is advice from a resident who has switched specialties a few times and knows a thing or two about matching and getting into different specialties. If anyone has questions, please ask.

First, do well in school. Work hard and do your best. You do not have to be perfect. Don't stress, just study, and do your best.

DON"T BURN ANY BRIDGES. This is a small field (all of medicine MD or DO). One a hole can ruin your freakin life. I mean it.

Study for your boards and do well on them. This is by no means a sign of intelligence, but they don't care. They want people that they can "predict" will do well on their specialty boards, and the only way they know this is to look at your board scores.

Absolutely positively DO NOT FAIL ANY BOARDS. Many residency programs will disqualify you from their interviews if you fail any step, especially Part I. Failing Part II and III don't look good because they are more clinical. Take these seriously, but don't stress come test time. Relax, and do your best. STUDY. I don't care if you are on surgery rotation when you have boards. They won't give a shiite either. That is the sad fact. These boards DO matter to competitive programs. Some of the smartest people I know don't do well on these tests, but that is just too bad.

OK Boards are important, but do you know what has always got me the residency I want? You need good letters of recommendation. The quality is more important than who you get them from, but if you can get a great letter from a bigshot, you are golden.

Make real friends in this field. Surprisingly they will be there to help you out in your time of need. Don't use people. They will see through it eventually.

Don't ever ever talk bad about doctors you work with no matter how tempting, and no matter how big of an ahole they are. Things get out, and you can be screwed.

Make sure you really know what you like to do. Take it from me. I have been in a few different specialties. Put the time in to really find out what they will be like WHEN YOU GET OUT. Don't worry so much about what they are like in medical school or residency. Residency sucks in many ways, but you must keep your eye on the big picture. Money is important. I like it, but you have to do that job everyday to. If you don't like it, you will dread work forever. Money will ease the pain, but you may regret your choice. Do what you like to do, and you will most likely be successful.

Never quit a residency. At least finish out your contract year, or find another position until you do. You will be screwed if you just quit. Don't disparage another profession just because it wasn't right for you.

Don't talk back to your attendings. Worse thing you can do, especially in front of people. I know personally. I was badgered one day when I was having medical problems for not holding the gosh darn lap camera still, and I finally had enough. He was out to get me after that day, and ripped me every chance he could throughout the hospital system. Small man, yes, but they are out there.

Try to have a life and take care of your relationships. Residency almost ruined what was most important to me.

Take care of your health. Take it from me. Excercise and eat right. Hospital food is bad for you. Watch what you eat there. There are more healthy choices now.

When you do apply for residencies some day, apply early. Many places will invite you before they get your Deans Letters. Get your letters of recommendations as early as you can. Doctors are busy, and will put these off for weeks. Trust me, I know. You can't piss them off though.

DOs: If you can take the USMLE. There are still some programs out there that don't take your test. There are even some programs that used to take your test, and now only take the USMLE like anesthesiology because everyone wants to do it now.

I know these seem rigid, and there are exceptions of course, but you will have more problems. This is advice from my personal experience and my friends. Any questions, I'll be checking.

Annotate it with what? Like check off if a topic was covered in the lecture notes?

HIgh yield points. More often from review books than from class, but you'll get a gem from time to time.

Simple: light up boards like a Christmas tree. :rolleyes::thumbup:

Not sure if that'll guarantee you'll be "cream of the crop", per se. But it'll help land your residency of choice.

....if you have some spare time please give me some advice on what some one who is going into his first year (in 2008) can do....

A lot of the suggestions here are really good ones, but they mostly point to what you caan do to be a competitive student academically. To be the most competitive, though, you should start working on being a competitive student politically as well. How?

Join some clubs at school and become an officer. Attend all the conventions you can (i.e. AOA, SOMA, ACOFP, your state osteopathic organization, etc.). Find out which ones your dean is going to and eat dinner with him or her. They'll be more than happy to introduce you to the "important" people. Make lots of friends and try to avoid too many enemies.

Along the way, though, don't forget about the academics. You need to have really solid board scores to get those competitive rsidencies. I heard one PD say not long ago that board scores don't get you a residency, but they WILL keep you from being considered at all.

Start early.....stay late. Ask intelligent questions that you can back with the fact that you have been studying the topic. Kiss Ass, Kiss Ass, and Kiss Ass. Whether it is nursing supervisor, intern, resident, attending, attending's dog...be kind and go out of your way for all of them. It will be remebered. At the end of the day you wont even have to interview for a position!!!

Since your interested in attending KCUMB, I thought this was relevant.

http://www.kcumb.edu/students.asp

Thanks for that, but competition is not antagonistic to collaboration. I think in a sense, one should have both of them. Competition with good sportsmanship is collaboration.

My goal was to see if med students and residents have any wisdom to share from their experience of going through this.
So far, I understand that you need to take USMLE and COMLEX, be a topper in all courses and start making powerful friends early on.
KCUMB has some events that are mandatory to students, maybe they help in "making powerful friends".