How can I best prepare for Boards as a first year -- what books must i have??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a first year and was wondering how i can begin to prepare for boards right now -- is it even possible.

what books should I have in order to best prepare for the boards? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I say don't buy first aid - buy it the year you are taking it so you get the new version (comes out around Dec. 17th or so). Otherwise, you will end up buying two copies - if you definitely want one, buy an old copy.

Step Up - buy it. Period. The one book that got me through medical school. Might not be the greatest book for boards, but for system - great book.

Buy the top books and READ them. Go to http://www.gotmedbooks.com and research the books. Try to buy the ones that say "must-have" on them. Way too early to prepare for boards in first year, but try to learn stuff well - especially pathology.

Viper

theDr. said:
Im a first year and was wondering how i can begin to prepare for boards right now -- is it even possible.

what books should I have in order to best prepare for the boards? thanks

I think one of the things I did in the first two years that helps out on Step 1 was studying from review books. I've heard multiple preachy discussions on here about the evils of learning from review books, but I found them to be more than sufficient for my classes. The really nice thing, though, is that you are familiar with your review books when you go to study for Step 1. A great example was BRS Physiology. That's what I studied from during 1st year and when I had to study for Step 1, I was familiar enough with the book that I could read it in a day. Just my $.02

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m planning on doing the same thing as “theDr.” but I bought the USMLE, cracking the boards by Princeton Review, is that a good book to use for the 1st year? Also to what extend will it help me on the COMLEX?

There is a sticky at the top of this forum, "Step One Study Guides," that should be helpful. I personally used First Aid, Micro Made Ridiculously Simple (can double as your micro textbook), BRS Path and Physio, and Savarese (I am a DO student).

Get review books to help you when you study for your exams, and eschew buying gigantic textbooks. First year I used BRS for physiology, neuro and embryology, Lippincott for biochemistry, and Moore's Clinical Anatomy for anatomy (plus an atlas of some kind). Those plus lecture notes should get you through everything.

You can buy first aid if you want to, but don't fill it with crap from your lectures, which will have WAY more detail than you'll ever want when you study for boards.

I don't think it is possible to meaningfully study for the boards during first year. The majority of the material tested is presented during second year..plus, unless you have an incredible long term memory, you will forget all the details of the stuff you learned this year (couldn't remember the Krebs cycle with a gun to my head).....just study hard during your courses and a few weeks of review after your second year should be adequate. I agree with Hercules, use review books as much as possible so they are familar to you when you go to study for step 1. Good luck.