• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

DarwinDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
So I've received 6 rejections, 2 interviews (decisions in march/april), and 2 no-word-yets. Therefore, thoughts of reapplication are becoming imminent.

Here's my situation. Any advice you all could offer would be much appreciated:

Currently: In the midst of a year off in which I'm working as a CNA at a children's hospital doing a lot of patient care. I started this job in Oct., so schools were only notified of this at interviews/ update letters.

Stats: GPA 3.49 with strong upward trend, MCAT 29Q (8 PS, 10 BS, 11 VR), Research, Good ECs, etc.

In the event that I need to reapply again, what do you guys think I should do in my SECOND year off? Retake MCAT? Post-Bac or SMP? Both? Or should I just continue working and apply to >10 schools and apply earlier?

Thanks a lot.

What kind of upward trend? Did you apply to schools that are within your range? What kind of scores did you get on practice MCATs? Do you think you could improve that score?

DarwinDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
What kind of upward trend? Did you apply to schools that are within your range? What kind of scores did you get on practice MCATs? Do you think you could improve that score?

The trend was 3.3, 3.3, 3.6, 3.9 (BCPM trend: 3.2, 3.1, 3.6, 3.9). I definitely couldve applied to a more broad range of schools. I think 7 of the 10 were top 50s. I was scoring 31-34 on practice exams, but PS was always my weakness (and it shows in my grades). I'd rather not take it again seeing as I took it April 2005 and have been out of school for almost a year now, but if I had to I could make the time to study.

Thanks for the post

About the Ads

bigdog8829

10+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2007
Illinois
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Your mcat seems good. And your clinical experience sounds amazing.
The only 'factor' could be your gpa bc its lower that most other applicants.
I would suggest looking into getting your masters (mph maybe?) and kicking the hell out of it. 4.0 style

Tired Pigeon

10+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Keep in mind an MPH or SMP will not affect your undergrad GPA. If you want to get your GPA up (which would make you a bit more competitive), take more undergrad courses.

What did you do/are you doing in the way of research?

DarwinDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Keep in mind an MPH or SMP will not affect your undergrad GPA. If you want to get your GPA up (which would make you a bit more competitive), take more undergrad courses.

What did you do/are you doing in the way of research?

You recommend just taking more science courses at a local undergrad or CC? I already have a BS from a damn good school, won't that just look bizarre if it's not towards a degree?

For research, I did a year in an undergrad lab, but the funding got cut and so did my research project. I did manage to get an LOR from the prof though. I also did a summer and winter in a Harvard Medical affiliated lab at Mass. General (no publications yet though), but an LOR from the PI, who's also an HMS faculty member.

so you think an SMP would be pointless?

thanks

I definitely couldve applied to a more broad range of schools. I think 7 of the 10 were top 50s.
That's your problem, IMO. You're not a top 50 candidate with your grades/MCAT, but that still leaves 75 other schools. ;) State schools and a few privates would be a much better bet.

Tired Pigeon

10+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
The point is your undergrad GPA needs to be higher. An SMP will have zero effect on this number.

Many people take post-bacc courses for the exact purpose of raising their GPA to make themselves more competitive. It won't look at all unusual.

DarwinDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
That's your problem, IMO. You're not a top 50 candidate with your grades/MCAT, but that still leaves 75 other schools. ;) State schools and a few privates would be a much better bet.

haha yea i've found that out the hard way. unfortunately, my state only has one state school and it's a top 50. but i was fortunate enough to get an interview there, and i think it went really well.

i think if it comes down to it, i'll definitely be applying to some different choices. thanks for the input though.

DarwinDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
anyone else have any advice/ experience with similar situations? anyone in a similar boat?

thanks!

MonkeyNuts!

Even Kal has bad days...
10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2005
Your MCAT is up to you. A 29 is manageable, but that PS score is kinda low. The flip side is that your verbal is decent, and most would argue that they have a harder time with verbal and ALSO that verbal is starting to be looked at more by adcoms (a point of heavy debate though). If you retake the MCAT you are risking your verbal score.

You could do a post bacc with chem/physics courses to try and kill 2 birds with one stone, increase your GPA and also show that although your MCAT PS was low, you have the ability to learn it for realz.

An SMP in my opinion is kind of tough - if you aren't in the top of your class, it isn't as useful, plus you don't really get a degree. You would be competing with medical students and premed gunners. I wouldn't suggest competing with med students if you don't have to - your GPA of ~3.5 is kinda borderline. Even if you did great in an SMP it might not be as useful, not as much as if you had a 3.1 instead.

Apply early, to more schools in your range, state schools definitely. I think if you do an SMP you can apply simultaneously, but with postbacc/grad programs your grades will not come out in time.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.