How can I find out which colleges restrict committee letters/real medical school acceptance %'s?

AmaranthMoor

2+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello everyone!
I am a high school senior trying to find the best 4-year college for pre-med studies as a backup plan if getting into a combined program fails.
So far, I have seen places who boast huge pre-med to medical school admission rates; however, I have been cautioned that these often weed out "bad" students by setting the bar very high for issuing of a committee recommendation letter.
Any good sites where I can find information on this (the colleges' sites themselves seem to have nothing!) Or, any recommendations for colleges that don't do this, or don't do it so strictly?

Thanks!

Cotterpin

Gluconeogenesis Evangelion
2+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Don't plan on being the kind of student that would get weeded out by a strict pre-med committee. Go to a school where you think you have the best chances of maintaining a very high gpa.

Reactions: Goro

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Hello everyone!
I am a high school senior trying to find the best 4-year college for pre-med studies as a backup plan if getting into a combined program fails.
So far, I have seen places who boast huge pre-med to medical school admission rates; however, I have been cautioned that these often weed out "bad" students by setting the bar very high for issuing of a committee recommendation letter.
Any good sites where I can find information on this (the colleges' sites themselves seem to have nothing!) Or, any recommendations for colleges that don't do this, or don't do it so strictly?
1) No organization set standards for what a committee should use in evaluating an applicant, including GPA.
2) No organization tracks and keeps these kind of statistics
3) Committee letters have fallen into much less importance than they were 15 years ago. I would venture to speculate that less than half of all applicants use them. There is nothing force any student to do so.
4) Since the number of factors of getting into medical school, such as GPA and MCAT, focusing on a committee letter rates as the guiding factor for choosing a college seems, at best neurotic, at worst ludicrous and paranoid.
5) Pick a school based on how you like it, what they have to offer in terms of major, and consider cost as well amongst just a few factors.
6) attached table is summary of survey of 127 medical school admissions offices and how they rate factors in considering admission.
7) Chill

Attachments

neekzg

7+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2010
Status
Medical Student
There are schools like this?? I am still confused by the concept of pre-med advisors/committees since my school has nothing of the sort and I had never heard of them until coming to SDN. I can't imagine that there are many schools like this and I would not base my decision of where to go to college on something like this.

Go to a school where you can see yourself having fun and thriving for the next four years. Aside from the cost of attendance, that would really be my primary concern.

edit: Just want to emphasize as said above.. do not consider this as a factor in deciding where to go to college!! The fit and environment of the college are much more important for your happiness and success.

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
There are schools like this?? I am still confused by the concept of pre-med advisors/committees since my school has nothing of the sort and I had never heard of them until coming to SDN. I can't imagine that there are many schools like this and I would not base my decision of where to go to college on something like this.

Go to a school where you can see yourself having fun and thriving for the next four years. Aside from the cost of attendance, that would really be my primary concern.

edit: Just want to emphasize as said above.. do not consider this as a factor in deciding where to go to college!! The fit and environment of the college are much more important for your happiness and success.
i would actually say a majority of schools have some sort of evaluation system and will refuse a letter to an applicants who is below par in their eyes. Some have formal policies with cuts-offs via GPA, MCAT, LOE, or other criteria. Most have have something less than a formal policy, or at least, stated policy. This has recently come up on the premed advisors listserv as some schools are trying to create policy and seeing what other schools are doing. The issue is, I stated previously, there is no set standard, process, procedure, etc so it is anybody's guess how this works and certainly these is no way to create any sort of general rule to evaluate across campuses. To do so would be folly.

The only place I would recommend looking at this more closely is for those evaluating any sort of formal postbacc. Some of these programs were known in the past to do exactly what the OP had stated. That is, set high committee standards, denying letters to those below it, partly to increase their school wide acceptance rate. Again, it is difficult to ascertain which programs really do this and, more importantly, how important the committee letter is each specific medical school. Some specific UG institutions may have highly regarded committees by certain medical schools, thus making letters more important. However, that is specific to each individual relationship and it would be impossible to map them out nor know what they might be in 3 to 5 years hence.

In sum, it is nearly impossible to analyze this issue and gain useful info that can be used by a premed student. Therefore, why bother with something you cant figure out and you can't use. Move on to things within your control.

Reactions: neekzg

Strudel19

5+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Are committee letters really not as important as they used to be? It's expected at my UG.

sovereign0

2+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Are committee letters really not as important as they used to be? It's expected at my UG.
The decreasing prevalence of committee letters is likely because UG institutions no longer offer them. If you school offers one, you pretty much have to use it barring extenuating circumstances.

For example, I go to a large 40k+ undergrad state institution, with plenty of premeds, and an advising office affiliated with a medical school, and they do not offer committee evaluations.

Cotterpin

Gluconeogenesis Evangelion
2+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2015
Status
Medical Student
The only place I would recommend looking at this more closely is for those evaluating any sort of formal postbacc. Some of these programs were known in the past to do exactly what the OP had stated. That is, set high committee standards, denying letters to those below it, partly to increase their school wide acceptance rate. Again, it is difficult to ascertain which programs really do this and, more importantly, how important the committee letter is each specific medical school. Some specific UG institutions may have highly regarded committees by certain medical schools, thus making letters more important. However, that is specific to each individual relationship and it would be impossible to map them out nor know what they might be in 3 to 5 years hence.
Which schools have highly regarded committees? It is a case-by-case thing?

Also, I know for sure that Columbia's postbacc has clearly stated standards that will disqualify you from getting a letter if you don't meet them. I know some people who were burned by that.

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Which schools have highly regarded committees? It is a case-by-case thing?
It is case-by-case in both directions

That is UG A is highly regarded by Med School 1, 2 and 3
Med School 4 highly regards UG B, C. D but doesnt think much of UG A

Also, I know for sure that Columbia's postbacc has clearly stated standards that will disqualify you from getting a letter if you don't meet them. I know some people who were burned by that.
As do others