How can I get a PRHO position in UK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gene

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm finishing a med school in Romania, this summer, and I'd like to get a job in UK. I want to apply for a PRHO year, before taking (hope so!!) the PLAB. Is there anyone from UK, that could help me?
Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi

The best place to start is the BMJ classifieds. The online version at <a href="http://www.bmj.com" target="_blank">www.bmj.com</a> will update every week and you can subscribe to be notified by email when the new jobs come out. Most of the jobs are out about 4 or 5 months before they start in either August or February. Jobs do come up in between these time when people drop out but there's not many.

It might be worth contacting M&D Europe <a href="http://www.readmedicine.com" target="_blank">www.readmedicine.com</a> as they have set up a scheme for foreign students to do PRHO jobs in England.

Chris

I've seen a statistic, at British Council's site. In 2000, there were about 3000 PRHOs in UK, and only 60 were from non-EEA countrys. Not very encouraging for me, but I guess I've nothing to loose...

I'm checking those sites right now, thanks a lot. Hey, can we keep in touch, somehow? It would help me a lot

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Eugine, can you tell me about your medical school experience/curriculum in Romania. Are there, by any chance, students from Greece there? Thanks!

Kreno, you must be kidding... I've met so many greek medical students here, in Bucharest! Main reasons: low costs( 360$/month, 6 years, no pre-med), and maybe, the cultural affinities. Not to mention the great campus parties of the the greeks.
Now, as I mentioned the costs, I suppose they're low comparing to US, or Western Europe; not only the school fees, but also the housing, and all the rest.
If I was a greek, I wouldn't miss this occasion, that's for sure!

Maybe someone will ask: why do you want to leave Romania, then? Well, fisrt of all, in the residency years, we're payed with 70 $/month. Not funny..

Almost everybody is askin for money or favours from the pacients. It isn't exactly my ideea of a decent job. I hope I'll find one in UK, and any help is welcomed.

Now back to PRHO.
I've received some bad news today. Somebody from Newcastle university told me that I need to take the PLAB in order to apply for a PRHO post! Now, I think that's stupid. So, UK graduates are spending a year as PRHO, and then move to residency. I must take the PLAB, which requires 1 internship year, in my country or in UK. But I can't do it in UK, because I have to take the PLAB first! This just doesn't make any sense to me. It's not fair :(
I think it would be an advantage to spend this internship year in UK; I could get to know their medical system, and how things are workin in their hospitals. I'll keep trying - as I said, I've got nothing to loose