how can i get into a top medical school like Harvard or Columbia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sabeen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi
I want to know if it is necessaRY TO GO TO AN IVY LEAGUE COLLEGE TO GET INTO A TOP MEDICAL SCHOOL?

I'M GOING TO BE A SENIOR NEXT YEAR IN HIGH SCHOOL. I WANT TO attend a good medical school but I CAN'T AFFORED A TOP COLLEGE.

I CAN ONLY AFFORD CUNY. BROOKLYN COLLEGE PLEASE HELP ME!!! GIVE ME SOME ADVICE

Members don't see this ad.

wow.......your way too young to be here..

No, you dont need to go to a ivy school to go to a "top" medical school. A student from my state school went to dartmouth med school (though idk if its exactly the "top").

Please dont type in caps, small case is sufficeint.

no u don't need a top college; when life throws u ****...dump it out and wait for lemons..er..i mean..just make the best of ur situation, do well in college, and you'll be fine

now answer me this: how the hell did u find this site? i just found it goin into my junior year of college. don't worry so much. u still got a ways to go before u gotta start worryin bout medical school. so, RELAX. and good luck in ur future endeavors

Members don't see this ad :)
sabeen said:
GIVE ME SOME ADVICE

1: Breathe. In, out. In, out.

2: Make some friends. Harvard and Columbia probably don't want antisocial pre-meds that spend their time freaking out about the future instead of living.

3: Study, make good grades, do well on the MCAT, blah blah blah, volunteer, blah blah blah research, blah blah blah cure cancer, blah blah blah...

But as of right now focus on steps 2 and 3. Please.

sabeen said:
hi
I want to know if it is necessaRY TO GO TO AN IVY LEAGUE COLLEGE TO GET INTO A TOP MEDICAL SCHOOL?

I'M GOING TO BE A SENIOR NEXT YEAR IN HIGH SCHOOL. I WANT TO attend a good medical school but I CAN'T AFFORED A TOP COLLEGE.

You can afford the top colleges. If your parents make under $45,000/year, then you will pay $0.00 for Yale, Princeton or Harvard. Keep them in your consideration when you apply to schools.

jon stewart said:
wow.......your way too young to be here..
Well I'm only 14, so I guess he's not that young in comparison...

Bon Scott said:
Well I'm only 14, so I guess he's not that young in comparison...

14?!? I was still planning on playing in the NBA when I was 14. First round draft pick, etc etc.

The fear of medical school rejections is something so heinous and nerve-breaking that no one should have to worry about until college, let alone freshman year of high school. That's just cruel.

Kids these days. Times sure have changed.

KevinZ said:
14?!? I was still planning on playing in the NBA when I was 14. First round draft pick, etc etc.

The fear of medical school rejections is something so heinous and nerve-breaking that no one should have to worry about until college, let alone freshman year of high school. That's just cruel.

Kids these days. Times sure have changed.
Hey, I'm not the original poster. I'm not worrying about getting into medical school right now. Although this whole process of becoming a doctor is scary and seems daunting.

sabeen said:
hi

One of the most important pieces of advice you're going to hear: Wherever you go and whatever you do, do it well.

Go to a little known state university? Don't worry. Take some hard classes. 4.0 or something close to it. Score 34+ the MCATs just to prove your academic ability (at least put yourself in the average for those Ivy Meds)

Don't have enough opportunities at a small school? Find some nonprofit service groups (don't have to be student-run), do extensive community service, go up the ranks. Be a leader and get some experience in different roles. Get a couple jobs, show your responsibility and dedication to what your pursue. Explore medical fields like shadowing, hospital work, medical work abroad opporunities during the summer.

The takeaway is simple: Take advantage of every opportunity you're given and it'll be hard for any medical school to turn you down, regardless of your starting point.

Note: Making some friends along the way is essential to maintaining sanity and developing the social skills you'll need to do well on the interview. And it just makes the whole process more enjoyable.

Trolldar beep beep.

- check out BA-MD programs if you know, at the age you're at right now, that you are definitely into med school. it's like 7 or 8 years.
- chill out. it's cool you can only afford so much. lots of people do loans and pay til they're in their late 40s. if you're economically disadvantaged, even better.
- the caps are irritating. besides you're too young to be so desperate. :)

Is your retirement plan up to snuff?!?

Reactions: 1 user
I go to the Brooklyn College/ SUNY Downstate BA-MD program and I can vouch for the caliber of both schools. I've done a ton of research on undergrad and med schools while I was a senior at Stuyvesant HS in NYC and now at Brooklyn, and I know that this program will get you to your goals just as well, if not better than any Ivy League school. I turned down Ivies and a couple top-15 schools for the program - to give you an idea of my confidence in it. Oh, and if you really have yur heart set on going Ivy - its pretty easy to get solid grades and extracurrics and apply out. A few years back we had a couple students students apply out to Duke and Yale; and last year one of our (15 per yr) students got the Rhodes Scholarship.

PM me if you want any college/med school advice.

out of curiousity, which HS in NYC do you go to?

I wouldn't do a combined program if I were you, there's more to college than preparation for medical school. From what I understand, combined programs are pretty strict with what you major in and what classes you take. I think making the decision to start the long path to medicine while you're in high school is a mistake, just because you haven't really been exposed to "the real world" yet. Who knows, you might want to study abroad, major in art, or play a sport in college? Are you ready to give this up now unnecessarily so you can get started on med school early?....just my opinion

Go to a decent school-- it doesn't have to be an Ivy--, and get a great GPA, 3.8+. Kill your MCAT(35+). Do some research and volunteering throughout. You manage all this, and you apply to all the "top" medical schools, you have a great shot of getting into at least one of them.