MPH How Can I get involved in public health without a degree in public health?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocTAP87

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I didn't realize how much the public health field interested me until I've nearly completed my undergrad in health science. I'll soon have a BS in health sciences with a pre physical therapy track but I'm very interested in working as a public health educator. My school offers an MPH with a concentration in health education but I was thinking it'd be a good idea to get some work experience.

My prof told me to check out Michigan's public health site but all of the jobs want specific bachelors degree such as in public health, environmental health, or health education. My degree seems too general for these positions.

Do you have any advice on where I can look for opportunities for employment? Even volunteer work would be excellent. I really want to get my foot in the door but I'm lost at where to start.

Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi DocTAP87,

I have a few suggestions for you.

1) Consider working in an entry-level administrative role for a health organization. Working in an entry level role has the potential to open doors, and you can confide in professionals to mentor you as you try to develop skills and knowledge to work in public health.
2) Volunteering is definitely another great opportunity. Many community organizations are always looking for volunteers to help out in a myriad of ways. Before returning to graduate school for my MPH, I worked for one of the largest voluntary-based nonprofit health organizations. We welcomed hundreds of volunteers in our office alone; volunteers are able to work in the community at health screenings and other health-related events.
3) I'm not sure if the application period has closed (and/or if you're graduating in a few weeks), however you might consider applying to positions with AmeriCorps. They have many wonderful opportunities for recent graduates from undergrad to work in the community, many in health-related roles, i.e. health educator, community outreach/organizer, etc.
4) Going overseas to volunteer, i.e. Peace Corps and/or other mission-trips. Look into faith-based organizations such as Catholic Charities and World Vision, among many others.

-- Consider using Idealist (http://idealist.org) to locate jobs and volunteers opportunities. There are many great opportunities posted on there!

I hope these ideas help you. Best of luck! Please feel free to send me a private message if you'd like more information on how to become a volunteer with community health organizations, or if you have any other questions.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi DocTAP87,

I have a few suggestions for you.

1) Consider working in an entry-level administrative role for a health organization. Working in an entry level role has the potential to open doors, and you can confide in professionals to mentor you as you try to develop skills and knowledge to work in public health.
2) Volunteering is definitely another great opportunity. Many community organizations are always looking for volunteers to help out in a myriad of ways. Before returning to graduate school for my MPH, I worked for one of the largest voluntary-based nonprofit health organizations. We welcomed hundreds of volunteers in our office alone; volunteers are able to work in the community at health screenings and other health-related events.
3) I'm not sure if the application period has closed (and/or if you're graduating in a few weeks), however you might consider applying to positions with AmeriCorps. They have many wonderful opportunities for recent graduates from undergrad to work in the community, many in health-related roles, i.e. health educator, community outreach/organizer, etc.
4) Going overseas to volunteer, i.e. Peace Corps and/or other mission-trips. Look into faith-based organizations such as Catholic Charities and World Vision, among many others.

-- Consider using Idealist (http://idealist.org) to locate jobs and volunteers opportunities. There are many great opportunities posted on there!

I hope these ideas help you. Best of luck! Please feel free to send me a private message if you'd like more information on how to become a volunteer with community health organizations, or if you have any other questions.

I am having the same issue. What organization did you work for?

Members don't see this ad :)
That first job is always the toughest part--just keep networking and trying to apply to a variety of positions is the best way, unfortunately.

In the meantime, what @BPW1088 suggested is a great place to start!

I do not feel comfortable posting the exact organization, though it is one of the top nonprofit health brands. You would be able to recognize it by its logo and catchphrase. With that said, major health organizations like American Cancer Society, JDRF, Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, American Diabetes Association, etc. all offer great internship opportunities. As I referenced above, Idealist is a great place to start.

I am having the same issue. What organization did you work for?