How Can I get up to a 500?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted585480

A 500 is my goal, a little lower might not be the worst thing, but I'm really trying to hit it.

Just took the scored
C/P: 122
CARS: 123 (but I got a 81% on unscored)
B/B: 123
P/S: 127

B/B, C/P, and P/S percentages were similar to unscored, only big difference was like 3 or 4 points lower on CARS than the unscored. If I had these stats with the CARS from the unscored it gets me close to a 500, but still not there.

I've studied so much I don't feel like I'm lacking in content knowledge. A lot of organic threw me off on the C/P since I haven't seen much of that at all on the NS Exams or on the unscored for that matter even. The first 10 questions were basically all organic questions or lab techniques.

I take the real thing Friday, so I don't want to do too much over these next couple days to tire myself out, but any advice would greatly be appreciated...

Members don't see this ad.

don't take the mcat, and reschedule.
you need more prep and you are lacking in content for c/p and bis. You also need more practice with CARS.
Only take the exam when you are ready and scoring what you want to score on practice tests.

don't take the mcat, and reschedule.
you need more prep and you are lacking in content for c/p and bis. You also need more practice with CARS.
Only take the exam when you are ready and scoring what you want to score on practice tests.

Nah but thanks for the advice

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd take full length cars tests, memorize c/p formulas, read the kaplan quicksheets, and do the section banks if you haven't. Honestly, it's all you can do at this point. Most people score +/- ~2 points on the real compared to the scored.

A 500 is my goal, a little lower might not be the worst thing, but I'm really trying to hit it.

Just took the scored
C/P: 122
CARS: 123 (but I got a 81% on unscored) The unscored CARS is way easier than all the FL I've ever taken.
B/B: 123
P/S: 127

B/B, C/P, and P/S percentages were similar to unscored, only big difference was like 3 or 4 points lower on CARS than the unscored. If I had these stats with the CARS from the unscored it gets me close to a 500, but still not there.

I've studied so much I don't feel like I'm lacking in content knowledge. A lot of organic threw me off on the C/P since I haven't seen much of that at all on the NS Exams or on the unscored for that matter even. The first 10 questions were basically all organic questions or lab techniques.

I take the real thing Friday, so I don't want to do too much over these next couple days to tire myself out, but any advice would greatly be appreciated...
The scored, unscored, OG is pretty representative of the real thing. It seems like you do not want to cancel. If you have a good feeling when you take the real thing then score it, if not-void. You got a 495 on the scored, and I would say you have a good shot at 493-498. You basically have less than a week now, I've found short-term memory material to be very useful on the exam. Review things that you are weak in and take the test.

The scored, unscored, OG is pretty representative of the real thing. It seems like you do not want to cancel. If you have a good feeling when you take the real thing then score it, if not-void. You got a 495 on the scored, and I would say you have a good shot at 493-498. You basically have less than a week now, I've found short-term memory material to be very useful on the exam. Review things that you are weak in and take the test.

thanks. I've found a lot of my problems when reviewing the test is just terminology stuff. kinases, phosphorylase, phosphorylation, etc.

Hate to be a jerk here, but you're misguiding the OP. 123 (equivalent to a 5 on the old scale), indicates the problem is content knowledge, not test taking skills. "Test taking skills" or whatever you want to call it occur after content is mastered.

Yeah he should brush up on that CARS content knowledge.

Reactions: 1 user
So....

1. OP posts about general MCAT score, with an emphasis on content knowlege not being a problem
2. You reply that because CARS is in line with other scores, test taking skills are the problem
3. I'm supposed to think you mean CARS and not the test in general

Yep. Perfect logic. What do I know though.

Edit: And if you're scoring 122-123 on CARS, all the test taking skills in the world won't help because your reading ability is the problem. So good one. He better brush up on how to strategize for questions he clearly struggles to understand.

OP this is no slight to you, it's just observing your current level based on your scores. You could end up improving and getting 127-128 with practice, you're just not there yet.

I'm not following you at all. How does a 123 CARS support the idea that content knowledge is his problem?

In my experience, CARS is a good measure of pure test-taking ability. The OP claims content knowledge is not a problem, and his subject scores don't really exceed his CARS score.

This clearly indicates, to me, that his problem is test-taking skills. I'm not sure how you can come to the conclusion that content knowledge is the main problem when his CARS score, which does not test any content knowledge, is essentially the same as his content area scores.

Suffice to say, I don't think the OP's problem is science knowledge. The problem is understanding, interpreting, and responding to the way the exam presents information and questions (or with pacing / anxiety).

FYI, the "brush up on CARS content knowledge" was sarcastic, and I suspect we may be referring to different things with the terms "content knowledge" and "test-taking skill." I've tried to clarify.

I won't be replying past this FYI. I've been clear as can be. No need to belabor or argue. All the best.

Ok, so low scores on science sections are only content knowledge problems, and low scores on CARS are always reading problems.

Got it. Thanks.

Clearly, I disagree with this assessment and think it's very short-sighted.