How can I improve my application for this coming cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mitch8017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if this should be included in the what are my chances thread, so I thought I'd throw it here and see if I can get some help.

Long story short: Took PSEO classes in high school (61 credits and an AA) but had a bad "senior slide" and finished there with a 3.37 cGPA (sub 3.8 first year, sub 3 second) due to some 3 Cs I got and some other poor courses. Since starting at my university, I have gotten with a 3.89 cGPA 3.9+ sGPA and only had 1 B since my first semester and got a 4.0 4 semesters

I am currently studying for an April MCAT and scored a baseline 512 on the free kaplan test I took before any studying, so my score should be competitive.

For my experiences:

-1400 hours of biochemical/nutritional research over the past 1.5 years that I am still working at. I am working on my Honors Thesis and an independent paper based on my own research here, as well as coauthor for a paper out for review I was heavily involved in (lit review, experimental design, execution, data analysis etc.).

-750 hours of CNA work at my hometown nursing home in the summer before sophomore year and the following winter break. Stopped working because I got the lab job and stopped going home for my entire breaks.

-Not going back to my senior year of high school for volunteer hours, I have about 50 hours of working with special olympics at a state tournament every year, 60 hours of random volunteering with a student organization I co-lead that is based around a spring break trip where we take a bus to a destination city and do a service project along the way. I also make some soap as a hobby and give a fair amount of it away to a local shelter and have sold a little and donated anything above what it cost to make it (just a few hundred dollars).

-Including my senior year of high school, I volunteered for meals on weals my summer year every friday for the year and I worked with the United Way and their buddy backpack program. I packed bags and then was the "emergency driver" all summer. I then came back over breaks my freshman year and packed bags. I don't know about hours, but probably 100 or so. I also coached my younger brother's little league team.

For clinical volunteering, the summer before college I volunteered in an ER for about 80 hours and the first semester of my freshman year I volunteered in a different ER 40 hours.

I have co-lead one of the trips from the organization I mentioned and have co-lead the organization for a couple years.

I have ZERO shadowing experience.

I have two main concerns and I get this is really what I am asking about here. I am convinced I want to work with doctors. I had some "shadowing" exposure and talked to the doctors when I was volunteering and have two family friends who are physicians that I have spoken to about the topic a dozen times. If I tried to get in, say 60 hours in the 5-6 weeks between my MCAT date and the first date to send in your primary, would this be viewed as just trying to pad my numbers? I have never had the box checking mentality and have only done things because I enjoyed them or felt I could learn something, and I feel this would be viewed as going against that. Also, would the same apply if I did more clinical volunteering right before/during the application cycle? I see the MSAR has 80-90% at pretty much all schools have done this, so I am worried this will hurt me since I was a freshman the last time I did any of that.

Sorry for the long post and thank you for your help. I am just anxious like most people at this stage and appreciate all the insight I can get.

Edit: I am not interested really in going to "Top Schools" or anything like that. I might apply to some, but I am from Minnesota and I'm not really sure I need more than the U of Minnesota, U of North Dakota, and the two Wisconsin schools on my app.

Members don't see this ad.

Do the shadowing it is very important. It won’t look like you are padding. And it is expected you shadow. Make sure some of it is with primary care docs.

What is your cGPA and sGPA including ALL classes you have ever taken from any college(including during HS)? Every class gets counted and calculated in your AMCAS GPA.

Good luck on the MCAT! Come back when you have a score and a school list and people will help you refine your list.

Grab some primary care shadowing. Your app is going to look solid. Get a good school list ( not top/ bottom heavy) and write a good PS! I will be in the same cycle praying and wishing! GL

Members don't see this ad :)
Do the shadowing it is very important. It won’t look like you are padding. And it is expected you shadow. Make sure some of it is with primary care docs.

What is your cGPA and sGPA including ALL classes you have ever taken from any college(including during HS)? Every class gets counted and calculated in your AMCAS GPA.

Good luck on the MCAT! Come back when you have a score and a school list and people will help you refine your list.
Sorry for the late reply. CGPA is 3.7 and sGPA a little over 3.8

Thank you for the advice. I was worried I’d be viewed as a box checker and I’ve been actively trying to avoid that. But I’ll get on it after test day. Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Grab some primary care shadowing. Your app is going to look solid. Get a good school list ( not top/ bottom heavy) and write a good PS! I will be in the same cycle praying and wishing! GL
Good luck to you too!