Medical How can I improve to be a competitive applicant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!!!

Super new to reaching out on this community, so hello to all. For starters, I'm in need of help.
I graduated from my undergraduate with a 3.0 Cumulative GPA and a 2.7 science GPA. I am trying to get into medical school, but unfortunately, this is not even close to competitive. I'm seeking help finding great masters programs that help students in my position get accepted into medical school!

A little bit more background:
My GPA is low due to an injury that needed surgical intervention, but i still graduated with a Major in Biology and a minor in chemistry in a 3 year time span!
I have been a medical assistant for roughly a year now, and have already taken the MCAT (496). This is still not too competitive, but I have also applied to numerous DO and MD schools this go around.

So I'm asking this community of saviors for ways to raise the GPA.
Which Masters programs should I look into?
Will a masters help me obtain a spot in either MD or DO schools?
What would be an excellent program that may potentially guarantee an interview spot for medical schools?
Post-bacc programs although have great information and results, are not something I am interested in, primarily because it feels like an extra 2- years of schooling with no degree.... but it's something I'll look into if needed.
Anything helps, sorry if I posted this incorrectly, this is my first ever post, and I do not know how else to seek help, I figured if I ask the question, others in my position would also be able to seek some guidance.

cGPA of 3.0, sGPA of 2.7, and MCAT of 496 is lethal in terms of applying, both MD and DO.

You could consider a post-bacc or an SMP being that your GPA isn't so far off that there wouldn't be any benefit.

MD schools don't look highly at masters, whereas DO does consider them to some extent.

DO schools favor reinvention more than MD as well.

I would not count on anything this go-around since you've already applied.

See this:

Members don't see this ad.

Would it be beneficial to also look into International school such as Pakistan? It is a 5 year medical program (the first year being post-bacc), but I'm unsure how difficult it would be to return for residency in the US.
If you wish to be a doctor in the US, go to an American medical school, period.

I personally prefer SMPs, especially if given at a med school with some sort of linkage. Higher risk, but higher reward.

SMPs are also a dime-a-dozen. Just pick one that that is a year long, has the lowest tuition and med school-like courses. Do NOT do a research MS! If the SMP has some sort of research component, that's fine.

Read up on masters postbac programs that have "linkages" to feeder medical schools. That said you have to retake your MCAT before you submit a new application and AFTER you are done with an SMP. Don't take it before unless it is required for your SMP to get a higher score (then push yourself because multiple results will start to count against you). With your numbers you should plan on a post SMP gap year in Clinic doing shadowing, volunteering, or scribing.

You have a better shot at DO than MD so don't disregard those schools and be unnecessarily picky.

I am already a medical assistant with this one gap year I took, and am still currently shadowing multiple physicians. Shortly, I will be able to work in a lab environment with a physician, and hopefully be able to get my name published. Would you know any websites that can help me research these masters programs with linkage? I cannot seem to find any through my web searches.
What about the AAMC Postbac Program directory? I'm not on my computer to link, and I don't remember if they mention linkages. That's what the student forums under postbac programs are for.

What certifications do you have as a Medical Assistant? I don't know if medical school faculty value that experience. Awaiting other comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.