How Can I Improve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

punkedoutriffs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current "Super-senior"
Already have a B.A. in English
Working on B.S. in Physiology & Neurobiology

Current Cum. GPA: 3.61

This semester's my first real semester on the Premed track w/ CHEM 1, PHYS 1, and BIO 1, so no real SGPA score...

Clinicals:

Dental Volunteer Assistant - 2 Months
Hospital Volunteer - 2 Years
Campus Health Center Volunteer - 6 Months

Research:

2 Summers in Gastro Lab - 1 Publication, 1 Abstract/Poster, another pub pending

Community Service:

Habitat for Humanity - done it only once so far, planning to continue biweekly

Other:

Intern for Genetic Alliance - Policy think tank in D.C.
Writing Tutor for Campus Writing Center
Acapella
Social Science Section Editor for Campus Undergrad Science Journal (First semester doing this)

Shadowing:

Shadowed Surgeons in O.R. for 12 hrs.

I know I have to do well in classes and eventually the MCAT, but between now and when I apply, I have about 3.5 semesters. So my question is, any gaps?

Members don't see this ad.

Any plans for leadership yet?

Does the Section Editor thing count?

Also, I've applied to be an R.A. Does that count?

I might try to run for office for the Habitat for Humanity group at my school once I get more involved. Nothing else comes to mind at the moment...

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Does the Section Editor thing count?

2) Also, I've applied to be an R.A. Does that count?

3) I might try to run for office for the Habitat for Humanity group at my school once I get more involved. Nothing else comes to mind at the moment...
1) If you manage a number of people who report to you, then yes. The description you give must be convincing.

2) Most RAs are not leaders just because they run a few meetings, rather they are babysitters or cops. You could make this into a leadership position (and I've seen it done) by organizing your floor so they accomplish things: parties, campus cleanups or other initiatives, floor decorations, tutoring exchange, etc. You'd need to be sure that your description of the activiy sounded "leadership-y" if you claim it is such.

3) Leadership, for sure. I assisted the H for H finance committee chair for a project, and this really requires organizational skills and coordinating groups of people for fund raisers, etc. It's a lot of work, but doesn't last past the final bill payments.