How can I improve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firstborn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Note: I am not asking for specific chances, but I would like to know what I can do to improve my application as a whole, as I have about 7-8 months to work on my application. I understand that I will need a good PS and LoR's, but I was just curious about my activities for now. Thanks for the help. I am especially interested in Yale, so I guess I would ask what, if anything, I can do be competitive there. Thanks again.:)
3.9+ GPA /39+ MCAT/ No name UG
-About 1.5 years of clinical exp split between ER and free clinic
-3 summers of research in same lab + pub/posters
-1.5 years of research in another lab (no pub)
-3 years of non-medical volunteering/tutoring with underserved
-Blood drive director for about 3 years with several successful drives
-3 months of international development work abroad
-2 months of human rights work with an NGO (continuing)
-Advocacy work on sexual violence on campus (1 year)
-Shadowed 3 docs (1 specialized, 1 primary care, 1 abroad)
-Student group member 1 year, officer 1 year
-Squash (worth mentioning?, I spend about 8 hrs. a week playing)

Members don't see this ad.

Note: I am not asking for specific chances, but I would like to know what I can do to improve my application as a whole, as I have about 7-8 months to work on my application. I understand that I will need a good PS and LoR's, but I was just curious about my activities for now. Thanks for the help. I am especially interested in Yale, so I guess I would ask what, if anything, I can do be competitive there. Thanks again.:)
3.9+ GPA /39+ MCAT/ No name UG
-About 1.5 years of clinical exp split between ER and free clinic
-3 summers of research in same lab + pub/posters
-1.5 years of research in another lab (no pub)
-3 years of non-medical volunteering/tutoring with underserved
-Blood drive director for about 3 years with several successful drives
-3 months of international development work abroad
-2 months of human rights work with an NGO (continuing)
-Advocacy work on sexual violence on campus (1 year)
-Shadowed 3 docs (1 specialized, 1 primary care, 1 abroad)
-Student group member 1 year, officer 1 year
-Squash (worth mentioning?, I spend about 8 hrs. a week playing)
Yes, mention the squash. I'd include other leisuretime activities, Arts involvement, as well. Grouping these in one space is fine if necessary.

Uncharacteristically, I have no other suggestions to offer. You've developed a very nice, well-rounded application. I have no particular insights into Yale's selection process, but you seem "Top Ten" worthy to me.

Yes, mention the squash. I'd include other leisuretime activities, Arts involvement, as well. Grouping these in one space is fine if necessary.

Uncharacteristically, I have no other suggestions to offer. You've developed a very nice, well-rounded application. I have no particular insights into Yale's selection process, but you seem "Top Ten" worthy to me.

To be honest, the only other leisure time activities I have would be avid biking in the summer and I am learning to play guitar. Would these also be worth mentioning in the same space?
To be honest, I'm not really one for top ten type schools, hence my undergrad, but I had an opportunity to visit Yale and it just felt so right, I can't really explain it. Anyway, thanks for everything.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
To be honest, the only other leisure time activities I have would be avid biking in the summer and I am learning to play guitar. Would these also be worth mentioning in the same space?
Yes. They help make you seem more of an individual. And adcomms like to see that you have stress-reducing activities.

Wow, im Jelly. Like a Jelly Donut. Mhmmm

Thanks to everyone for the helpful comments. I guess I will continue doing what I am now and hopefull all works out in the end. :)
Raltima: I see you're having a great cycle, keep it up. And good luck with Mayo! I have spent a lot of my childhood in and around the clinic and I have nothing but great things to say about it! And Rochester is perfectly fine to live in, don't let anyone tell you different. :luck: