How can I increase my gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TurkSurg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have 3.59 right now and just finished the first semester of my sophomore year...i have 4 semesters (including this summer) to go until i apply to med schools and my goal is 3.85 ... any advice on how i can increase my gpa to 3.85 ?

Members don't see this ad.

i have 3.59 right now and just finished the first semester of my sophomore year...i have 4 semesters (including this summer) to go until i apply to med schools and my goal is 3.85 ... any advice on how i can increase my gpa to 3.85 ?

How many BCPM credits have you taken?

Members don't see this ad :)
if you take classes in yoru junior/senior year and get As but i could be wrong

Get more A's?

Sorry for the smart aleck-y response, but I'm not sure what you're really expecting. Are you asking for how you can get better study habbits? It would be helpful to know what you're currently doing and how you feel it's hindering you. But in reality, 95% of people who ask these questions just don't put enough importance on studying and just need to study more; the other 5% study in a way that's not conducive to actually retaining the material, and that's what we might be able to help with if we knew what you were doing up to this point.

i've had all A's for my chem classes so far
i had two B's for both intro to bio 1 and 2 :(
and i havent taken physics yet

of course the easiest way is to get A's but should i focus more on BCPM courses or the core classes? in other words, is the bcpm gpa more important than the overall gpa?

Seriously, make A's!

There is no magic involved.

Some basic math will calculate it for you....:rolleyes:

assuming you've got 45 hours already, you'd need 79 of 4.0.

have fun with that.

and they're both important.

of course the easiest way is to get A's but should i focus more on BCPM courses or the core classes? in other words, is the bcpm gpa more important than the overall gpa?

They're both important, but BCPM classes happen to increase both GPAs, so it should be clear which classes will help you more.

Okay, the secret to getting a high GPA is to:

"Do better than the guy sitting next to you."

That's what the gunners will tell you

Okay, the secret to getting a high GPA is to:

"Do better than the guy sitting next to you."

That's what the gunners will tell you

dude that was my motto for my last four semesters. GPA shot right up. Say what you want about gunners, but it gets the job done. (I am a closet gunner :ninja:)

Members don't see this ad :)
dude that was my motto for my last four semesters. GPA shot right up. Say what you want about gunners, but it gets the job done. (I am a closet gunner :ninja:)

Ah, a gunner in in hiding, a.k.a. a Sniper ;)

Watch out for them snipers.

They steal lecture notes when you're not looking.

You need roughly a 3.98 the rest of your college career to get to 3.85.
Study up!

I started off college with a 3.4 freshman year. I'm currently a Senior at 3.72 after a bunch 4 points and 3.9ish terms. It takes a long time to get that gpa up...

Watch out for them snipers.

They steal lecture notes when you're not looking.

The only people worse are the people that take 20 copies of the lecture notes "for their friends too" making it so that not everyone can get a set of notes (because they really have no friends to share the notes with).

The only people worse are the people that take 20 copies of the lecture notes "for their friends too" making it so that not everyone can get a set of notes (because they really have no friends to share the notes with).

word. I missed one class of biochem last block and it was for a whole week of enzyme kinetics- no packets next day and I had to pay to print a 40-page packet.

stupid question warning: what is "gunner" and to your answer, do research for units and that's easy A and of course study for your classes. gl

Research, research and.... research. Make sure you get the right professor and it is a garaunteed A. I have probably gotten 12-15 hours of easy, pretty much automatic A's by doing research with a couple great professors.

Thats probably more the answer you were looking for, hope it helps.

Take easy class.
Make A.
Repeat until GPA 3.85.
Don't stop.
Oh please don't stop.

do the math dude

if a gunner fell in an empty lecture and no one was there to hear him would he still make a sound? i'm gunna trip one the next time I'm in class just to find out.

Of course, if your in class, then someone is there. There is a flaw in your experiment.

Of course, if your in class, then someone is there. There is a flaw in your experiment.

actually if you want to get technical about it, most anatomists would call gunners people, too. So they would hear themselves fall.

This question is like asking "I need to breathe but I am unsure of the best way to go about it".

I guess what you were really asking is if we think your goal is possible. Well, I think it may be possible to get it to the 3.8 range assuming you are taking a bunch of credit hours and make ALL "A"s

Please...I am dying to know what type of response you wanted or thought you would get when you ask a question like "How do I raise my GPA?"

Im not going to lie this is going to be very tough. I started my freshman year with a 3.63 and with a lot of very high semesters (4.0's or very high GPA's) I eventually finished with a 3.83. So since ur already in your Soph year your going to have to crush ur remaining classes. I would just say focus on trying to set a reasonable goal based on ur previous classes. Say like a 3.8-3.9 the rest of ur college career and where your GPA is it is then. The upward/consistently high GPA over those semesters will ultimately be more important (in my opinion).