Medical How can I obtain clinical experience during COVID-19?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have close to no clinical experience and am planning on applying next cycle after graduating this June, and taking two gap years. I was wondering in what sort of ways I can get clinical experience after graduating. I know a lot of scribing jobs are suspended and many companies aren't hiring for them and I don't think hospital volunteering will be a thing for a while.
Would getting a CNA or EMT license be helpful in the meantime, while all these opportunities are shut down?

Also, I was concerned about potentially working as a CNA because I have heard that when you are newly certified you usually start working in nursing homes, where there is a vulnerable population I may put at risk under the circumstances.

EMT or CNA are viable provided you do a job search and see if anyone is hiring, or seeing if they're taking volunteers for those. I'm not sure about CNA, but I know that EMT courses can range from anywhere between $500-a full semester or two of college credit (if through a school). I became an EMT once upon a time ago and it costed $750 at that time. Be mindful of the cost, especially if you're going to volunteer or no jobs are available.

Any hospital-based (or nursing home, or pre-hospital) care will put you at risk.

As for opportunities in the short term, you could consider being available for crisis phone lines/apps. I've seen a few random posts here and there on various sites that people are needed.

Otherwise the situation is kind of up in the air for everyone, and it's a matter of waiting it out and/or finding a place willing to hire a new hire with virtually no experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.