How can I pay for a medical internship abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdmccart

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at doing a medical internship in Uganda for an undecided time period (between 2 and 12 weeks). The cost ranges between $935 for 2 weeks and $1735 for 12 weeks. That includes food, housing, orientation, and a couple other random program activities. What it doesn't include is airfare (which I pricechecked at around $1600), travel insurance, and visa fees. My family isn't poor, but there's no way they could pay for this. I don't really have money saved and I don't know if it's feasible for me to work enough in the next year to save that amount of money while still paying rent and such. Any ideas on where to get the money?

Members don't see this ad.

I actually ran into this same problem. I wanted to go to do something like this, but my family didn't have the money available for me to do it. I kind of gave up on it, but in retrospect, I suppose I do have an idea. I don't know about your financial situation at your school, but at my school, they have loans for living expenses that go above the tuition. If you are working your way through college/your parents are helping you out, you could theoretically take one of those and save it.

You mean what kind of job would pay for this? Or are you looking for a private loan?

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I'm asking about loans... I can't see any other way of paying for it. And yes, I'm paying to volunteer overseas. If there are organizations that place students in overseas volunteering positions that you don't have to pay for, please let me know.

EDIT: It's not just volunteering... it's an internship. And since it's not in the lawsuit-hungry US, I'd be doing x-rays, sonograms, injections, drawing blood, and similar basic clinical things of the sort. At least that's what the description of the program says.