How can I prepare for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdla

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finished undergraduate and took my MCAT. I may have to wait 1 or 2 years before I go to med school. What can I do to prepare? Can I finish med school earlier? What text books can I read or topics?

Members don't see this ad.

NO NO NO! Stop the madness! Enjoy life before you get sucked into the med school black hole.

What can I do to prepare?
Get some more clinical experience. Look up topics at your leisure. Learn for your own edification.

Can I finish med school earlier?
No.

What text books can I read or topics?
Do not study anything. You won't retain anything worthwhile. It will be a complete waste of your time.

Go have a beer. Go to a strip club. Go bungie jumping. Go snorkeling. Do things you won't have the opportunity to do when your time is no longer your own. Med school will teach you everything you need to know at a pace far faster than you could ever learn and retain on your own.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anything non-med school related. Try and have a life. Actually being an interesting person will help you develop a personality where classmates want to talk to you. Far more important than knowing 2-3 more facts for a test.

*back to studying :(*

nothing can prepare you for medical school... nothing (evil laugh)

Do something interesting with your couple years of freedom. Do not study. You seem sure about your MCAT score. What is it? Why haven't you applied for this application cycle? How you know you will get accepted? What are your plans?

Hmm. Well you ought to enjoy free time before med school and work on becoming a better applicant so you can get over the first hurdle of getting in.

However taking classes that are taught in med school probably would help you in the transition to med school. Maybe anatomy, cell bio, intro statistics, biochemistry, genetics, microbiology, a bioethics class etc would be helpful. That's a large chunk of the first semester or so at my school. Also you could take a foreign language. There are a lot of Spanish-speaking people in the US who don't speak english and could use doctors who don't need a translator.

I finished undergraduate and took my MCAT. I may have to wait 1 or 2 years before I go to med school. What can I do to prepare? Can I finish med school earlier? What text books can I read or topics?

Uh, you want to get a head start on medical school but you haven't even gotten into medical school yet? Or am I missing something?

You might want to take one step at a time.

The general advise I was given was to just have fun and get some clinical volunteering that you enjoy doing.

Also you could take a foreign language. There are a lot of Spanish-speaking people in the US who don't speak english and could use doctors who don't need a translator.

I second this advice. Learning spanish is probably the most useful thing you can do before med school that will help you in med school. The attendings will love you in third year if they don't have to go find an interpreter when talking to a patient on rounds, and it's not really something you are going to have an opportunity to learn down the road.