How can I really study cat anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angelyka

MissUnderstood Spoonie
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having trouble studying for an anatomy practical that is coming up. I am sorry if this was mentioned in an earlier thread but, I didn't really find anything that was helpful. Most of the focus is on the cat dissection. I am having trouble learning the muscles. I know what they do and everything but everything seems to look the same. I found some websites that help a little but the same muscle looks completely different on other sites. At my school, you cannot just go look at the cat and study it on your own so thats out. Any tips on studying? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
WOW!!! Your school does not have open lab?:confused:

Thati s quite unreal and is something you should have complained about. Now if you do not have the time to show up during the open lab sessions, then you might want to refocus your intentions.

We aren't not allowed to take pictures. I would get kicked out of the class. Yes, my school sucks in regards to biology at least.

Oh yeah, the cat anatomy is similar to human anatomy except that in the lower extremities, if memory serves me correctly, one of the cat muscles is larger than it is in the human. I want to say it is the pectineus muscle off the top of head and it had a role in ad/abduction.

NO OPEN LAB!!! Complaining has gotten people nowhere. Even talking to the dean has done nothing. :eek:

Doing a google search for "cat anatomy" brought up at least half a dozen interactive cat anatomy websites, including a few interactive cat dissections. Just look around a bit and you'll find more than enough reference material on-line.

I don't know much about cat anatomy, but when i took human anatomy, the netter's anatomy flashcards really helped me I think they run about 30-40 dollars each set and you can keep it for med school :) . I don't know how much that will help you since we had open lab and real cadavers so I could compare them to the cards and of course we didn't have to deal with cats. it really helps if you have to memorize the origins, insertions, innervations, actions and vasculatures of every single muscle and they are great for before the test cramming.

Members don't see this ad :)
You dissect a cat in med school? I haven't heard this before...

Since this is pre-allopathic, the OP is talking about undergrad :D

Oh, lol. We dissected a frog and a fetal pig in my undergrad. Poor poor frog... we poured epinephrine on its heart and watched it speed up, then atropine, to block the epinephrine, then acetylcholine to slow it down, then EN, then ACh, then EN, then ACh... then, at the end of lab, to 'dispose' of our frogs, we were instructed to pour huge amounts of ACh on its heart...

damn...

then atropine, to block the epinephrine

Pardon me.....but are you sure about that? :laugh: Atropine is a positive chronotropic and inotropic agent (it increases the rate and strength of contractions in an innervated heart) and it's not an beta-adrenergic antagonist. ;)

Pardon me.....but are you sure about that? :laugh: Atropine is a positive chronotropic and inotropic agent (it increases the rate and strength of contractions in an innervated heart) and it's not an beta-adrenergic antagonist. ;)

My bad, you're right. It inhibits muscarinic ACh receptors (according to wikipedia and my lab report from that class...)