how can i regain focus after a year off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

creverte

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
after graduating a year ago, i decided to teach high school biology and coach a girls soccer team for a year before going going to med school...i had such an incredible year between teaching, coaching, and traveling that i am having a hard time getting excited about begining school. any suggestions on how to regain focus and rekindle my passion for medicine? i only have one more week before i move!!! any advice is appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

There's really no secret...the impending doom of an upcoming exam will motivate you quickly. As many on this forum have said--and I completely concur--FEAR of failing or getting a bad grade on an exam will force you to study/cram if you're not the type to study on a daily basis.

Relax. You'll get into the swing of things soon enough! :)

Hey, I'm like you too. I took off a year b/t grad school and med school. HOwever, I AM REALLY excited to begin. I have worked so hard to get in, that I REALLY appreciate being able to enter med school. THat being said, I think that setting goals for yourself may help. Knowing that you have to get a certain amount done during one day, may keep you learning and motivated to stay on track.

The only thing I think about is how many THOUSANDS of people are trying to be where we are right now. I don't want to mess up this chance. You know? There are alot of deserving people out there who should get in, and now that we have, I truly think that we ought to try our VERY BEST to make all our hard work in getting worth it. Okay, no more rambling. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
creverte said:
after graduating a year ago, i decided to teach high school biology and coach a girls soccer team for a year before going going to med school...i had such an incredible year between teaching, coaching, and traveling that i am having a hard time getting excited about begining school. any suggestions on how to regain focus and rekindle my passion for medicine? i only have one more week before i move!!! any advice is appreciated

Don't worry! I've taken the last two years off- I got married and had 3 different jobs that have actually taught me quite a bit. I feel very rested and ready to go again because of this break- look at it as an advantage- just be excited to get started again. You'll do great and get back into the swing of things easily.

I was out of school for 4 years before starting medical school...while I was worried that it would be hard to get back into the swing of being a full time student again, I think it helped, rather than hindered me. I was much more laid back compared to some of my classmates (maybe because I had been in the real world/non-academic setting?). I noticed my freak-outs were kept at a minimal and that even when **** was hitting the fan, I still found time for myself.

Sure, it took me a month or so before it sunk in that I should establish some kind of study schedule, but in the end, I don't think I was at a disadvantage for taking so much time off.

Don't worry creverte, your enthusiasm will surface once again... :luck: