How can I stay current?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LouisianaDoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a non-traditional, etc, student. I've been out of school for two years. I just got my Step 2 CK score in and will be participating in the 2012 match. I'm currently studying for my Step 2 CS.

My concern is how can I "stay current" with my knowledge so that I'm not a blank slate when I start residency? I will be going into Family Med. I am going to study for, and try to pass, Step 3 before I start residency. Will studying for Step 3 help keep all my knowledge fresh?

Has anyone been in a similar situation and have any good recommendations?

TY

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
I am going to study for, and try to pass, Step 3 before I start residency.
TY

Why are you trying to take step 3 before residency? On my FM rotation all the residents were saying that the first year of their residency was basically like studying for step 3. Unless there is a really compelling reason I might wait until you're a pgy1.

Hi all,

I'm a non-traditional, etc, student. I've been out of school for two years. I just got my Step 2 CK score in and will be participating in the 2012 match. I'm currently studying for my Step 2 CS.

My concern is how can I "stay current" with my knowledge so that I'm not a blank slate when I start residency? I will be going into Family Med. I am going to study for, and try to pass, Step 3 before I start residency. Will studying for Step 3 help keep all my knowledge fresh?

Has anyone been in a similar situation and have any good recommendations?

TY

Residency generally expects you to have ******ed significantly by the time you walk in the front door. Lots of programs talk about "dusting off the cobwebs" or "jumpstarting a fourth year brain." So, even if you dont recall everything, that's ok.

Studying for Step 3 is probably not going to be worth your freedom. Fourth year is an awesome time in your life. Bull**** rotations, lots of time to get back into the hobbies, fitness, and television series you've been missing out on the past year. You should take the time to enjoy yourself because you will never again have so much free time to enjoy your life (until you retire, or die).

Now, because I know that I'm not going to convince people who are going to work in their fourth year to not work, here's my suggestion. Studying for Step 3, as in reading Master the Boards, First Aid, or BUYING (not stealing) Kaplan Videos will keep you current, and fresh.

If you have notes from Step 2 studying, read those a couple of times. Not everything is going to stick, but some of it will.

Why are you trying to take step 3 before residency? On my FM rotation all the residents were saying that the first year of their residency was basically like studying for step 3. Unless there is a really compelling reason I might wait until you're a pgy1.

Step 3 is harder than I thought i was going to be. CSS cases are easy (make sure you do the Uworld cases so you realize what there is to order... like "Consult Surgery" will give you the response "continue medical therapy" but typing "Exploratory Laporotomy" will solve (and end) the case), but the CK content was hard. I took mine in the beginning of my intern year, as I had a 6 weeks of easy electives to start. Thought I'd make use of my time.

It isn't impossible, but probably better to wait until the end of your intern year. Because, yes, intern year is like studying for Step 3. ESPECIALLY in family med, where you will be doing peds, ob/gyn, and medicine.