How can I study smarter, and not longer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asigna

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I have no problem on studying for a long time but at time it seems that no matter how long I study sometimes, I still don't get the concept, while other times I do. Idk maybe I'm not studying/reviewing right?

I tend to study/do homework on an average 5-8 hours per day

My classes are:
Bio 101
Bio 111 lab
Chem 101
Chem 111 lab
Calc 1
Philosophy

I know that many people have said that I may be doing something wrong, and that I could be studying too much/wrong for these classes, as they are just beginner classes. Others have told me that everyone is different, and that you should study however much you need to.

If you guys could give me your input/suggestions/tips maybe on these classes or how to study or learn more effectively, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For Chemistry and Calc, those are math based courses so (I believe) the best way to study for those are by doing multiple problems. Reading the chapters over and over again and trying to memorize and visualize concepts like you would in biology, will not work as well for Chemistry and Calc because every problem will have a different approach so it's about learning how to adjust your approach to different problems and the easiest way to do that is by practicing different problems over and over again.

For biology-- I made flashcards lol. I read the chapter once before class. Again after class and then the third time I would only read over sections that I was having difficulty understanding.

I like making Anki cards to help with all the memorization stuff. Get creative with formulas, pictures, concepts, etc. Do all your vocabulary that way, but figuring out creative ways to put concepts on flashcards will often help you remember them. And if you have more luck than I, you might get the Anki phone app to work, and then you'll have all of your flashcards on the go.