1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

How can I tell my amigo to stop being a gunner?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by IcedTea, May 17, 2008.

1. IcedTea

IcedTea Nuthin But A G Thang Baby
    2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    One of my good friends whom I've known since high school is going to med school with me now, however he is kinda getting on my nerves with his gunnering!!! lol

This dude cannot stop studying. I can't even convince him to take breaks every now and then. He just studies, studies, and studies. That's all he ever does. Literally nothing else. To put it in one phrase, he has no life.

And the thing is, there's no need for him to study nonstop. I study about a quarter of what he does and we get similar grades on tests. I want to prove to him it's about the quality of your studying sessions, not about the quantity.

Someone who studies for 3-4 hours with full focus will obviously perform better than someone who studies for 8-10 hours with distractions.

How can I convince him? Because sometimes he gets really annoying and he comes down on me for not studying as much as he does lol

EDIT: Read my response to "dilatate". Sorry I forgot to mention that part. You guys are all right. Someone who studies all the time is not necessarily a gunner, but he does ridicule others time to time, makes a big deal out of class grades, and compares himself to others demeaningly.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Blesbok

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ever think that maybe he has a more difficult time learning this stuff?

And just because someone studies all the time doesn't make them a gunner.

4. 146233

146233 Phthirius pubis

Medical Student

:thumbup:

5. soeagerun2or

soeagerun2or Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

No habla spanish..

6. IcedTea

2+ Year Member

lol

7. DwyaneWade

DwyaneWade Reiging *** Cynic
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    TRUTH

8. IcedTea

2+ Year Member

I don't think he has a difficult time learning this stuff. I know him very well, he even studies for pure entertainment.

You're right just because someone studies constantly does not make them a gunner but he is obsessed with studying and has no life other than studying.

I want him to have more fun and just chill out.

9. midn

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Try to get him to go out and meet some ladies. :)

You're right to get him to socialize a bit since studying shouldn't be all you do. You need some social skill as a doctor unfortunately.

10. kenmc3

kenmc3 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

If he doesn’t have a problem with it, neither should you. Perhaps he really wants to learn as much as he can or do well because he wants to match into a competitive specialty. Gunners for the first 2 years of med school don’t really hurt anyone other than themselves. The only time you would need to have a talk with him is if during 3rd year he begins to make his teammates look bad.

11. Karlily

Medical Student
    Why not just let him be? Seriously. If your 'amigo' is fine with being the studying type and you're bothered by it, it appears to be your problem, not his.

12. Pinkertinkle

Pinkertinkle 2003 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    So your post's point is my friend studies 4 times more than me but I do just as well? Sounds like YOU'RE the gunner.

13. Blesbok

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Some people have other priorities rather than partying. God forbid he actually enjoy his learning experience.

14. Isoprop

Isoprop Fascinating, tell me more
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
  15. bkpa2med

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    A gunner is someone who is out to get you, not someone who studies.

16. dilatate

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    IcedTea... you sound kinda like a d-bag. Studying does not make someone a gunner. A gunner is someone who purposefully makes others seem less competent to highlight his/her own competency, i.e. even if someone is smarter than you and you look bad for it, it does not make them a gunner. It just means he/she is smarter than you. And if someone studies all the time, it does not make them a gunner.

17. Anka

Anka Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Out of curiosity, did you two go to college together, too? One of the interesting aspects of your relationship, assuming not, is that people change a lot in college. It can be really frustrating when you then try to re-establish the relationship, because you've both grown in very different directions.

BTW, I agree with the above conversation regarding your friend not necessarily being a gunner. If he's your friend, be willing to accept him on his terms as long as he's not hurting anyone else. This is a serious field, can't fault the guy for taking it seriously.

Anka

18. Pontifex Maximus

Pontifex Maximus Rads-a-palooza
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Sounds like he isn't a gunner, just inefficient.

19. roja

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    1. You may be right. He might be ineffecient. Or he could just like studying. Or he might be more nervous than you. It doesn't really matter. Its not about YOU. Its him.
    2. If he hasn't asked for your help, you should probably just mind your own business.
    3. You are all adults now. If he chooses to study more than you, that's his choice. Just like fi he chooses to date a blond instead of a brunette.
    4. If you want him to get out more, find out what he likes and make sure you offer it. He might one day take you up on it.

20. IcedTea

2+ Year Member

Yeahhhhh I should take him to a club or something. He needs a woman in his life.

21. IcedTea

2+ Year Member

True.

22. IcedTea

2+ Year Member

D-bag? LOL...kinda harsh don't you think? What did I say that seemed to piss you off as to provoke you to say "D-bag"?

Anyway, he DOES do that...that's one thing I forgot to mention. Sometimes by the way he acts, you can tell he thinks he's God's gift to medicine or something. He can never stop talking about grades, and he always tries to compare himself to me. Like if I get literally ONE point below him on a test, he's like: "Oh, I beat you this time".

Sorry I left that part out, cause that's the true "gunner" side of him. He often compares himself to others in my class and looks down upon those who get low grades and makes fun of them while he's at it.

All in all, I just want him to stop being so obsessive over grades and to study hard, but not to ridicule others and say "I beat you!" everytime he gets one point higher than someone on a test.

23. IcedTea

2+ Year Member

:thumbup: