How can someone be pronounce dead and actually not be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alysp13751

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FefK_9s2meM[/YOUTUBE]

I was watching this on youtube, its mind blowing. What about her pulse? Could this happen in current times?

Members don't see this ad.

Check out thypoid fever or tetrodotoxin and "buried alive".

Check out thypoid fever or tetrodotoxin and "buried alive".

The woman I linked has cataplexy, but she was pronounced dead 3 times? and 2 times woke up in a morgue? I mean, this was in the 1950s, its not that long ago, i just dont understand why her vitals werent checked

Members don't see this ad :)
The woman I linked has cataplexy, but she was pronounced dead 3 times? and 2 times woke up in a morgue? I mean, this was in the 1950s, its not that long ago, i just dont understand why her vitals werent checked

They did check her vitals. They said that her case is peculiar in that her breathing becomes very shallow and her pulse very weak during severe attacks.

Locked in syndrome. Incredibly easy to miss if you're in a hurry.

Edit: Also when are you actually dead? Heartbeat end? Brain damage/death? Incapable of self sustainment? It used to be just the heartbeat, but now we're rethinking it.

There was a guy in South Africa who had an asthma attack and passed out. His family thought he was dead, so they called an undertaker. He came by, couldn't find a pulse, so he took him to the morgue. Then the guy woke up several hours later in the refrigerator at the morgue. I'm not sure if that's at all relevant to your thread but that would suck.

There was a guy in South Africa who had an asthma attack and passed out. His family thought he was dead, so they called an undertaker. He came by, couldn't find a pulse, so he took him to the morgue. Then the guy woke up several hours later in the refrigerator at the morgue. I'm not sure if that's at all relevant to your thread but that would suck.

Did he just ask for a blanket?

ppl have had that fear all through history, of being buried alive. Maybe thats why they keep ppl for 3 daays or so in the morgue?

Another possibility in some instances may be the "lazarus phenomenon" where patient has had resuscitation attempted and then pronounced only to spontaneously regain a perfusing heart rhythm. There are a few reports of this is in the medical literature.