How can we collectively bring attention to systemic discrimination against FMGs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CD15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am at the end of my training.

I have thought deeply over the last 6 years of the various instances of discrimination I have faced due to being a foreign grad.
My question to you all is how do you shed sunlight on these issues so that we address these through increased awareness.

1. Lack of residency interviews from top US programs
- despite having good profile, scores in 260s

2. Despite leveling the play field, or so I thought, after residency from a mid tier university program, I failed to get interviews from top US fellowship programs
- despite having more research than AMG colleagues
- letters from leaders in my field
- ITE scores over 90 the percentile
- no problems in residency
- fortunately matched at one top program which interviews FMGs

3. During job search
- top ivy league and west coast programs declined to interview me
- AMGs with substantially lower credentials were offered jobs over me, despite me having much better credentials, e.g. way more publications, oral presentations, national and international awards,
- jobs offered to FMGs are more clinically heavy while AMGs get more cushy job with more protected research time

4. Systemic issues
- FMGs on visa are not eligible for T32 grants during fellowship
- or NIH career development awards, which are given out like peanuts to US citizens
- this robs FMGs from opportunity to have protected time during early career which is crucial to build an academic career

5. During job as attendings in university program, my FMG colleagues are significantly looked down upon by AMGs
- even during training, AMG co-residents/fellows feel entitled to **** on FMG co-residents/fellows

These issues are not limited to myself
- but collective experience of me and my FMG colleagues
- issues which new FMGs starting the USMLE process do not have grasp over
- also note that I do not have a problem with accent as AMGs have frequently complemented me on my English and had been surprised to know that I have been in the US only for 6 years.

Even the most accomplished and distinguished faculty from top programs who are FMGs will attest to these.
- They will tell you that you have to be twice as good as an AMG to get the same bar or get a job or recognition
- I am saying this from first hand experience of having received such advice, verbatim, from some of such faculty

I think ECFMG is also complicit in perpetuating this by giving physicians the easy path of J1
- only that J1 and subsequent j1 waiver is essentially bonded servitude
- which traps FMGs in abusive waiver jobs in the middle of nowhere
- minority who are able to get good jobs in competitive places, are frequently stuck with O1 visas independently which needs to renewed annually

This is all despite data to show that clinical outcomes of patients treated by FMGs are better than AMGs
- despite the patient population treated by FMGs were more high-risk underserved patients (BMJ article from Harvard)

I wrote this post very quickly, and I am sure I can remember more instances and examples if I think harder.

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
If you want to be a doctor in country X, go to a medical school in country X. Don't whine about "discrimination" when the systems are designed to train and retain doctors within that country.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,

I have thought deeply over the last 6 years of the various instances of discrimination I have faced due to being a foreign grad.
My question to you all is how do you shed sunlight on these issues so that we address these through increased awareness.

2. Despite leveling the play field, or so I thought, after residency from a mid tier university program, I failed to get interviews from top US fellowship programs

3. During job search
- AMGs with substantially lower credentials were offered jobs over me, despite me having much better credentials, e.g. way more publications, oral presentations, national and international awards,
- jobs offered to FMGs are more clinically heavy while AMGs get more cushy job with more protected research time

4. Systemic issues
- or NIH career development awards, which are given out like peanuts to US citizens
- this robs FMGs from opportunity to have protected time during early career which is crucial to build an academic career

5. During job as attendings in university program, my FMG colleagues are significantly looked down upon by AMGs
- even during training, AMG co-residents/fellows feel entitled to **** on FMG co-residents/fellows

- also note that I do not have a problem with accent as AMGs have frequently complemented me on my English and had been surprised to know that I have been in the US only for 6 years.

Even the most accomplished and distinguished faculty from top programs who are FMGs will attest to these.
- They will tell you that you have to be twice as good as an AMG to get the same bar or get a job or recognition
- I am saying this from first hand experience of having received such advice, verbatim, from some of such faculty

I think ECFMG is also complicit in perpetuating this by giving physicians the easy path of J1
- minority who are able to get good jobs in competitive places, are frequently stuck with O1 visas independently which needs to renewed annually

This is all despite data to show that clinical outcomes of patients treated by FMGs are better than AMGs
- despite the patient population treated by FMGs were more high-risk underserved patients (BMJ article from Harvard)

I wrote this post very quickly, and I am sure I can remember more instances and examples if I think harder.
You came in through the side door, you knew the deal. Doesn’t mean you aren’t a great doctor. Volunteer for the hiring committees if you want to influence it

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with you, all of what you've said is true!
I believe there should be an organization for IMGs, similar to AMA to make pressure on ECFMG and residency programs

Looks like I hurt the feelings of some Trump supporters here!

• Angry
As a foreigner who went to a US school, I have to agree with all the other posters on here (and no, I'm not a Trump supporter - but good argument).

I came into this country as a guest and am grateful for the opportunities afforded to me. I could go back to my home country, make less, and have more opportunities. But I'm choosing not to. You made a choice, you're always welcome to leave if you feel things are so profoundly biased against you.

• Love
Hi all,

3. During job search

4. Systemic issues

Don’t come to the US, plain and simple, or else just quit whining...

• Love