How can you better apply dycal and vitrebond.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prays4snow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a pulp exposure on the distal of #3 today and attempted to do a pulp cap with dual paste dycal, and vitrebond. I have the hardest time trying to get that stuff to go where I want. It seems to want to stick to my instrument and I just don't ever seem to place it there very neatly. Anybody have any tips or tricks.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a pulp exposure on the distal of #3 today and attempted to do a pulp cap with dual paste dycal, and vitrebond. I have the hardest time trying to get that stuff to go where I want. It seems to want to stick to my instrument and I just don't ever seem to place it there very neatly. Anybody have any tips or tricks.

It's tough. Apply it when it's fresh and only apply it once. If you go back in multiple times the stuff you've already laid down will be picked up again with your instrument. Apply a very small amount.

applying alcohol to the instruments help prevent sticking, but I agree with Gavin. That's the best way.

Members don't see this ad :)
i use the tip of the explorere or perio probe.. it is very difficult. however if you had a carious exposure i would definitely do the RCT; if it was an accidental exposure (as long as it was small; no more than 1 mm) than the pulp cap may work

Dycal has always been super annoying to me for this reason. If you use the official dycal instrument it helps some but more important is that you clean the instrument well with alcohol before picking any mixed dycal up. Also there are some premixed dycal liners out there that eliminate this problem but $$.