Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

How can you tell if you did well in a MMI? How many bad stations is enough to tank your app?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by boltedbicorne, 09.19.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. boltedbicorne

boltedbicorne Banned Banned

Pre-Medical
    I just had my first MMI and I didn't like it. There were around 8 stations and most of them were easy and cool. First one I was a bit nervous cuz I didn't know what to expect, but had a clear answer. There was one where there really wasn't much to discuss about the prompt because it was weird, and I'm pretty sure I bombed the acting patient one just because it's the first time I've ever been in that situation and it's not like I'm in medical school where you're specifically. How can I tell if I screwed up the MMI or not? If you ask me I really like the traditional interviews just because they're pretty easy to handle and having a real conversation isn't a big deal. Yea, a bad traditional interview can sink your app, but at least it actually gives insight into your motivations for attending the school and the interviewer can really get to know, instead of some gimmicky rushed approach to interviewing. Having 8-10 stations isn't a great thing when you have like 5-8 minutes to talk to the other person. I also don't like being ranked against other people in MMIs because there's a lot of subjectivity that is disservice to analyze quantitatively for the sake of being quantiative.

How can you tell if you did well in a MMI? How many bad stations is enough to tank your app?

Last edited: 09.19.14
    airgear likes this.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    You can't, and it depends upon the school's criteria.

4. mehc012

mehc012 Big Damn Hero 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Actually, that's put forth as one of the benefits of the MMI format. You're ranked against other people in traditional interviews as well, except that you only get ONE interviewer, with ONE subjective opinion/perspective, and no redos. (OK, maybe you get 2 or so, depending on school, but the way you are discussing it made it sound like MMI vs 1 trad interview, so I went with it). At least with the MMI you get multiple perspectives, multiple chances, and are theoretically ranked on very specific characteristics each round.

Cyberdyne 101 and Aerus like this.
  5. boltedbicorne

boltedbicorne Banned Banned

Pre-Medical
    those very specific characteristics are still totally subjective. It's like trying to quantitatively analyze philosophy, art, or religious studies

6. mehc012

mehc012 Big Damn Hero 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm not disagreeing...I'm simply stating that having 8 subjective opinions determining your future vs 1 subjective opinion helps to mitigate some of the randomness.

7. Baron Samedi

Baron Samedi 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Army

If you get accepted.

About the ads