V781

5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Cold, Influenza, Norovirus, etc.

When a patient sneezes, coughs or vomits while visiting you, do you make any attempt to avoid the aerosol? Or do you just expect that getting sick is part of the job and take it like a champ?

Streetmath

2+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2017
Newfoundland, Canada
Status
Medical Student
Of course, I do expect to get sick but I want to avoid that at all costs. When people are sick I do put on a mask and keep their distance.

About the Ads

VA Hopeful Dr

15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
We ask the patients to wear masks, and I wash my hands frequently. I typically end up catching most of my colds from my wife.
Yep. In the bad flu season 2014-2015 I must've seen 200+ flu patients in UC, never got sick myself for those exact same reasons.

mark v

10+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2004
I've had the Flu the last 2 years despite being vaccinated. I wash frequently, but sometimes it just happens.

cabinbuilder

Urgent Care Physician
10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2005
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
Cold, Influenza, Norovirus, etc.

When a patient sneezes, coughs or vomits while visiting you, do you make any attempt to avoid the aerosol? Or do you just expect that getting sick is part of the job and take it like a champ?
I never get sick. Been doing urgent care for 7 years. I never touch my face a work. Handwashing. I am a believer of apples, vinegar, and mustard (not all together)

About the Ads