How challenging is Audiology school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kenzie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a mother of 3 young kids and looking at going to school in the next 2 years to start my career. I was totally sold on Optometry and planning on staring summer of 2009 until I heard more on audiolgy. Ironically I have a school here in my city (University of Nebraska - Lincoln). I guess my questions are, how tough is it to find a job after you're done with school? Is it easy to find a part time job as I'd like to only do 20-30 hours until my kids get older. How challenging is school? I know most schools are moving to a 4-year doctorate, but is the school incredibly challenging, or not too bad. I know I was planning on an 8-5 schedule in optometry school (with studying and everything)...is audiology school similar?

Any other info would be really appreciated!!!!

Thanks!!!

Chad

Members don't see this ad.

Chad,

I can only speak for the school that I go to. I have a 4 year old little boy and no family around to help my husband and I. I did find the program very challenging the first year. It was hard to get back into school mode, and be a mom, and a wife, etc. But, I got through it! (2 more years to go)

The job market looks pretty good. It depends on where you want to work. If you work for a private practice, you may be able to negotiate your schedule. Hospitals maybe 7 to 4 or 8 to 5. There are also school audiologists, etc.

Overall, I love the profession. Nothing beats seeing the face of a patient the first time they can actually hear.

Hope this helps.

Yes, treat it as you would optometry. A lot of times it will be more than 8-5 but on the bright side, it's doable. Best wishes!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
Could anyone tell me about how much time you apply to what during your program (ie: most of time is spent studying, how much time in class, how much time in clinicals, etc)? As your semesters progress, I see there are more clinicals. Does this also mean more work or does it depend on your specific assignment, school, etc? Or does the work taper off towards the second half of the 4 year program.

One last question is: is there a lot or any teamwork? I have to ask this, since my past studies are in business and every class meant teamwork, which is what I want to get away from.

Thanks for all insights!

Hi,
Could anyone tell me about how much time you apply to what during your program (ie: most of time is spent studying, how much time in class, how much time in clinicals, etc)? As your semesters progress, I see there are more clinicals. Does this also mean more work or does it depend on your specific assignment, school, etc? Or does the work taper off towards the second half of the 4 year program.

One last question is: is there a lot or any teamwork? I have to ask this, since my past studies are in business and every class meant teamwork, which is what I want to get away from.

Thanks for all insights!

Ok this is generally speaking on average, I spend about 6 hours a day in class, clinic not that much right now (about 4-6 hrs a week) will depend on what year you are, studying...I would say about 3 hrs a day..again it depends on your preference. I like to keep up some people prefer last minute stuff which I would not recommend! The work load will be heavy for the first 2 years but after that it will mostly be clinical stuff but either way as long as you manage your time well it should be ok. In terms of team work, I haven't really come across any. However there are a few things that I've partnered up on. Once you find a person you like working with it can make things a little bit easier but it's far from how a business class would be. I hope this helps you:)

Hi,

Thanks for all insights!

Ok I will speak in regards to my personal program, although I feel most programs are very similar.

I have three actual, 3 credit classes I go to and sit in. This account for 9 hours a week.
I also have a class to complete my specialization in intraoperative monitoring that I spend 1 hour a week in.
My clinical schedule is 1 day a week for 4 hours in the on campus clinic. I also average 1-2 hours a week on top of that in newborn hearing screenings and industrial screenings at our affiliated hospitals. On top of that, I would say I average 2-4 hours per week in report writing and paperwork.
I spend 10 hours a week there doing research and my graduate assistantship; as well as another 10-15 hours a week in studying, papers, reading, assignments. etc.
I am EASILY on campus 40 hours a week. My classmates and I joke about not renewing our leases next year and just living in our building. I can literally get to campus at 10 am and not get home until 10 pm on some days!

In my program your first two years are 9 credits (10 if you continue the IOM concentration) of actual classroom classes and 3 credits on ON CAMPUS clinical practice (including the hospital). The third year is also 9-10 classroom credits, and an 3 credits OFF CAMPUS (up to an hr and a half away from the school) externship placements (1 placement per semester). The fourth year is a full year fellowship year.

I'm not going to lie, if you're in a good program, it's VERY challenging and time consuming. My class started with 11 people in Fall 2007 and we are already down to only 8. It's definitely a curriculum you have to be passionate and committed to in order to stay dedicated and motivated.

As for teamwork, there's always teamwork, but I would not say the program depends on it. You spend so much time with your classmates that you learn to help each other out, and you discover new things with them. Your classmates don't, however, hold your hand during your first otoscopic evaluation or when you order your first hearing aid. It's a very cooperative relationship. Teamwork is not required, but you will see that it's what will pull you through the program. Good luck!:thumbup:

Chad,

I can only speak for the school that I go to. I have a 4 year old little boy and no family around to help my husband and I. I did find the program very challenging the first year. It was hard to get back into school mode, and be a mom, and a wife, etc. But, I got through it! (2 more years to go)

The job market looks pretty good. It depends on where you want to work. If you work for a private practice, you may be able to negotiate your schedule. Hospitals maybe 7 to 4 or 8 to 5. There are also school audiologists, etc.

Overall, I love the profession. Nothing beats seeing the face of a patient the first time they can actually hear.

Hope this helps.

Where do you go to school? I am applying to programs now with a husband and a 1 year old so we would be in the same boat you are. Also did you have trouble deciding where you wanted to go? I am having a hard time deciding if I should go with smaller names and low debt coming out or bigger names with more debt?

Ok I will speak in regards to my personal program, although I feel most programs are very similar.

I have three actual, 3 credit classes I go to and sit in. This account for 9 hours a week.
I also have a class to complete my specialization in intraoperative monitoring that I spend 1 hour a week in.
My clinical schedule is 1 day a week for 4 hours in the on campus clinic. I also average 1-2 hours a week on top of that in newborn hearing screenings and industrial screenings at our affiliated hospitals. On top of that, I would say I average 2-4 hours per week in report writing and paperwork.
I spend 10 hours a week there doing research and my graduate assistantship; as well as another 10-15 hours a week in studying, papers, reading, assignments. etc.
I am EASILY on campus 40 hours a week. My classmates and I joke about not renewing our leases next year and just living in our building. I can literally get to campus at 10 am and not get home until 10 pm on some days!

In my program your first two years are 9 credits (10 if you continue the IOM concentration) of actual classroom classes and 3 credits on ON CAMPUS clinical practice (including the hospital). The third year is also 9-10 classroom credits, and an 3 credits OFF CAMPUS (up to an hr and a half away from the school) externship placements (1 placement per semester). The fourth year is a full year fellowship year.

I'm not going to lie, if you're in a good program, it's VERY challenging and time consuming. My class started with 11 people in Fall 2007 and we are already down to only 8. It's definitely a curriculum you have to be passionate and committed to in order to stay dedicated and motivated.

As for teamwork, there's always teamwork, but I would not say the program depends on it. You spend so much time with your classmates that you learn to help each other out, and you discover new things with them. Your classmates don't, however, hold your hand during your first otoscopic evaluation or when you order your first hearing aid. It's a very cooperative relationship. Teamwork is not required, but you will see that it's what will pull you through the program. Good luck!:thumbup:

Hi I am trying to get a feel for different programs. Would you mind telling me what school you're in? Thanks! :)

Hi I am trying to get a feel for different programs. Would you mind telling me what school you're in? Thanks! :)

I go to Bloomsburg University. It's in Pennsylvania.

i'm on my first semester at a community college and i realized i want to go into audiology.

im wondering if anyone can give me a pathway on what to do, i just don't know where to start.
what courses do i have to take and what not..

- lost

Kenzie, if you are looking for a job in which the hours will work with those of your children, you may want to look into working in the schools. Some schools do employ audiologists, and you would have summers off with your children, spring break, winter break, etc. You would probably work normal school hours if not a tad longer, but having the summers free would be great.

kmarsh,

I started at a community college and realized I wanted to get into audiology, too. I took the following courses before I transferred to a university, so here's the list.

- General Anatomy
- Intro to Psychology
- Biopsychology
- General Biology
- College Algebra
- Intro to Child Development

I'm glad I took all of these classes when I transferred because I had to take communicative disorders classes related to child development, anatomy/physiology, and biopsychology.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions.

I would agree with MissAuD on the time commitment while in school. My school has a lot of afternoon and evening classes so that students can fit in time for their clinical placements (during the day when the clinic is open). When classes are in session, at least 2 or 3 times a week I don't get home until almost 9pm (I have kids too). Also find out about what clinic time you will be putting in at your program. For us, after the first year it is two full days a week, sometimes 3. In the first year it was two half days a week in the clinic.

I'm a mother of 3 young kids and looking at going to school in the next 2 years to start my career. I was totally sold on Optometry and planning on staring summer of 2009 until I heard more on audiolgy. Ironically I have a school here in my city (University of Nebraska - Lincoln). I guess my questions are, how tough is it to find a job after you're done with school? Is it easy to find a part time job as I'd like to only do 20-30 hours until my kids get older. How challenging is school? I know most schools are moving to a 4-year doctorate, but is the school incredibly challenging, or not too bad. I know I was planning on an 8-5 schedule in optometry school (with studying and everything)...is audiology school similar?

Any other info would be really appreciated!!!!

Thanks!!!

Chad
If you go to a program with top rankings (like Vanderbilt or UNC Chapel Hill or Washington University or somewhere like that), you will definitely be doing clinic (at least 3 half day a week) and class/studying for 10-12 hours a day at least. There may be some days when you have less to do, but for the most part, the rigorous programs are highly ranked for a reason and require complete time dedication.

Hi everyone,

I am considering audiology as a career option and hoping to get into one of the 2-year masters programs in australia. I chose it because it is a low-stress 1on1 9-5 job and I find helping people rewarding. I am also hearing-impaired and admire my audiologists. I was good at physics and maths in high school. I was previously a mechanical engineer but was so stressed out with solving mechanical problems, group meetings (burns me out) and tight deadlines. I just can't handle the stress in the corporate world.
I was unhappy.

I want to ask for your advice on the difficulty of audiology subjects.

Can I survive the course given that I had difficulty memorising biology/anatomy terms and concepts in high school?

Any tips on studying biology/anatomy subjects?
How about succeeding in clinical work subjects?

I have good long term visual memory, but not short-term memory such as remembering people's names, etc.

Thanks heaps!

Hi eardoc,

I am considering audiology as a career option and hoping to get into one of the 2-year masters programs in australia. I chose it because it is a low-stress 1on1 9-5 job and I find helping people rewarding. I am also hearing-impaired and admire my audiologists. I was good at physics and maths in high school. I was previously a mechanical engineer but was so stressed out with solving mechanical problems, group meetings (burns me out) and tight deadlines. I just can't handle the stress in the corporate world.
I was unhappy.

I want to ask for your advice on the difficulty of audiology subjects.

Can I survive the course given that I had difficulty memorising biology/anatomy terms and concepts in high school?

Any tips on studying biology/anatomy subjects?
How about succeeding in clinical work subjects?

I have good long term visual memory, but not short-term memory such as remembering people's names, etc.

Thanks heaps!