How challenging is it to get accepted to Chapel Hill, NYU, and Columbia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

froggie645

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Just curious if you have been rejected or accepted to Chapel Hill, NYU, or Columbia for OT! What were your stats?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was waitlisted at Columbia and NYU last year and I had very good stats...4.0 science GPA, 3.74 reg GPA and over 150 hours volunteer work in 3 different settings...I was actually surprised that I was waitlisted (then eventually rejected, lol). I got into two other schools in the NY area so I picked one (and it's a much cheaper one, too). Be careful because schools like NYU and Columbia get a ton more applicants because of where they are located and their "reputation" (note that I put that in quotes because I truly believe it doesn't matter where you get your OT degree from as we will all work together and get the same jobs). I went to NYU's information session way back when and I couldn't believe the amount of people that were there. Hope this helps...any other questions, just ask!

Thank you so much for the information! If you don't mind sharing, what was your undergraduate major? And around did you hear back from Columbia and NYU? I am guessing around March? I am definitely applying to other schools as well so I can hopefully get in somewhere. Just curious!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was waitlisted at Columbia and NYU last year and I had very good stats...4.0 science GPA, 3.74 reg GPA and over 150 hours volunteer work in 3 different settings...I was actually surprised that I was waitlisted (then eventually rejected, lol). I got into two other schools in the NY area so I picked one (and it's a much cheaper one, too). Be careful because schools like NYU and Columbia get a ton more applicants because of where they are located and their "reputation" (note that I put that in quotes because I truly believe it doesn't matter where you get your OT degree from as we will all work together and get the same jobs). I went to NYU's information session way back when and I couldn't believe the amount of people that were there. Hope this helps...any other questions, just ask!

Just wanted to hop in and put in my two sense. I have a friend who's been in the colombia program and her gpa wasn't a 4.0 or close to it. I think that Colombia looks for students with character, who are well rounded and contribute to a diverse environment. So don't be discouraged. Just make sure you've got more than a GPA going for you, how are you different from all the others. Give it a shot!

Just wanted to hop in and put in my two sense. I have a friend who's been in the colombia program and her gpa wasn't a 4.0 or close to it. I think that Colombia looks for students with character, who are well rounded and contribute to a diverse environment. So don't be discouraged. Just make sure you've got more than a GPA going for you, how are you different from all the others. Give it a shot!

I actually am already in a program...and to answer the other question, my undergrad major was history/education (I was a teacher before switching to OT)...so this def makes me well-rounded. Not many people I've met in my program were teachers in a completely unrelated subject! I heard back from Columbia around Feb-March with my waitlist letter. Then in the summer I got a letter stating they had too many people on the list and obv I wasn't getting in! At that point tho I already deposited at my school so I didn't really care!

I was accepted at Chapel Hill for this past fall, pm me if you are interested in talking about the application process and whatnot!