How close is too close to send an ITA email?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alison92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live 4 hours away from a city where I am interviewing in a few weeks. My top choice school, from which I don't have an II, also happens to be in this same city. I've already taken a lot of time off from work, and, on the off-chance that I may be extended an II at my top choice, it would be ideal for me to schedule the two back-to-back.

Is 4 hours too close to merit sending an ITA email? How should I word this email so it doesn't sound like I'm expecting/demanding an II?

EDIT: I should add that the timeframe I'm aiming for is in mid-November, and the school I want to send an ITA request to is still scheduling for mid-October. Should I wait to send the ITA or send it sooner rather than later?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd think if you're a fairly easy bus/train/car ride away, it's not worth it - pretty sure that's more to save money on flights etc. All my interviews were car/train rides away, so I can't say for certain, but that's my 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 user
I sent an ITA email to a school within 4 hours, and received an II the following week. As long as it is not pretentious and explains why this would be much more agreeable for you, I doubt they will mind taking a quick peek. I would not do it unless it really is significantly more convenient, though. You never know if something like that could be taken the wrong way.