How close to campus do you guys live?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

n618ft

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm asking the med school students - not undergrads. I'm curious to see how long it takes everyone to get to school.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 5 minute walk to the med school and to our main hospital. As a third year student, I really appreciate that 5 minute walk.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend living close first year. Its nice to know that if you accidentally sleep in your only a 5 minute sprint from your exam.

About a 5 minute drive to the hospital. The lame part is that my parking spot is about 7 minutes walk from the hospital, so I lose a lot of my driving efficiency by not parking in the lobby.

I live about 3 miles from campus. It takes me twelve minutes to drive to school and park on good days, and around 20ish minutes on days when the other drivers on the road have all taken stupid pills. I sometimes wish I lived closer, but at my apartment, I like to just have a place to get away from everything.

I live 2 miles from my school. It's more expensive for this area, but the benefit of it never taking more than 15 minutes even in traffic is a good trade. :p

So what I'm getting here is to look for somewhere close. I'll be scouting the areas prior to an interview if I come in a day early. It would be nice to not even need a car until I get settled in for a while... I hate keeping cars outside in the FL sun anyway and finding a garage that's not full of old couches and other crap is nearly impossible.

I recommend living close first year. Its nice to know that if you accidentally sleep in your only a 5 minute sprint from your exam.

it's true. In my 1st year undergrad I slept half an hour into my very first uni exam ever. The exam was at 9 am and I woke up at 9:35.

Thankfully, I was in residence and it was only a 5 minute sprint to my exam hall and I made it just in time (because after I think 45 minutes they stop letting people into the exam).

Finished with 45 minutes to spare (3 hour time slot) and ended up getting 75% on the exam.

Not too shabby eh?

Although everybody in the exam hall saw me panic and burst into the room breathing like I just ran a marathon...

5 miles away; drive in the morning takes ~15 minutes

Hmm just curious, why isnt this in the Allo forum?

I commute 50-60 minutes each way right now, but the hospital where I will do clinicals is pretty much in my back yard.

So what I'm getting here is to look for somewhere close. I'll be scouting the areas prior to an interview if I come in a day early. It would be nice to not even need a car until I get settled in for a while... I hate keeping cars outside in the FL sun anyway and finding a garage that's not full of old couches and other crap is nearly impossible.

talk about putting the cart before the horse...concentrate on the interview and then when u get in worry about scouting out places to live.

but to answer your question...according to google maps i have a 2 minute drive to school ...haven't actually made the drive yet so i don't know how long it takes in reality

I take the bus. Door to door (I walk about 10 minutes) it's about 40 minutes. If I drove it would be about 20 minutes. I enjoy the nap/study time on the bus :)

~15 minute walk from school. school is on 30th and 1st and im on 24th and 3rd. I am soomuch closer to the hospitals which are on 1st and between like 27th and 23rd :) so 3rd and 4th will be nice.