Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

how cold is it in Michigan?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Bruin4Life, Dec 9, 2001.

1. Bruin4Life

Bruin4Life Senior Member

Just wondering what the weather is like in Michigan. I have an interview in early January and I'm wondering if I should buy a warm jacket. All I own is thin sweat shirts living in California. WOuld I need gloves and a scarf?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sar520

sar520 Member

it's gonna be cold. right now it is 10 deg outside and there is 4 inches of snow on the ground (and i am in western mass., which is warmer than michegan on average). maybe you could borrow someone's jacket - buying a whole winter coat when you might end up going to a california school would be kind of a waste . . .but a light jacket will be pretty painful if you have to walk around outside. . .

-s

4. Floyd77803

Floyd77803 Member

I'm near Grand Rapids,MI which generally gets fairly severe winters because we are so close to lake Michigan. Although it's December 9th and we still haven't gotten any snow. Last week we had temperatures up into the high 60's but it got pretty cold over the weekend. I'd say if you're coming here in January the temp will probably be in the 20's.

5. westsidespartan

westsidespartan Senior Member

Medical Student
    Although this is the warmest fall I've ever experienced, it always gets bitterly cold and very windy in January. I don't know where you're headed, but I would suggest obtaining all of the above somehow if you're going to be outside for more than a couple minutes.

6. doppl

doppl Member

I went undergrad at Mich. and it gets pretty friggin' cold. The good thing is that the entire interview is indoors. I'd suggest borrowing a coat, gloves, etc. if you plan to be outside at all. Especially since you'll probably want to get to know Ann Arbor a bit to get a feel of the town. Good luck. Its a great school.