How come americans have it so easy out of highschool?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackal head

Registered Sex Offender
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you go through an American highschool, all you have to do is get into the 0-6 program and you are set! Maintaining a 2.3 is a ****ing joke!

In my eyes it really makes pharmacy seem less worth while if other people can just half *** their way in.

Members don't see this ad.

If you go through an American highschool, all you have to do is get into the 0-6 program and you are set! Maintaining a 2.3 is a ****ing joke!

In my eyes it really makes pharmacy seem less worth while if other people can just half *** their way in.

Where do you get the 2.3 from? I think it's pretty difficult to get into for some schools. I know, for example, UB you can start the first 2 years, but you need to maintain like a 3.5 to get a spot into the professional program...and I think you still have be interviewed with everyone else on top of that!

If one were to go to professional school, I would hope maintaining a 2.3 would be a joke to them, seeing as how most people maintain above at least a 3.0 if not a 3.4+

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess education has alot more to do with your statis than your grades.

I don't see what/why you are complaining. If you move to a foreign country, be prepared it will generally take you more work to fit in both professionally and personally than a native. Afterall, you are an immigrant and when did being an immigrant become easy ? Yes, Americans have it easy but it's no excuse to hate on them because if you don't like the system you always have the option of going back and pursuing your education at the non-american pharmacy school.

BTW, I am non-american myself but don't see what the big deal is about.

Well, they are in their home country afterall. Why should they bend back and forth to accomodate your educational plans ?

I smell a troll...

Your post is disingenuous. If I had to guess, you are not complaining because you are concerned about the future of pharmacy, or because you are concerned about quality of education. You're complaining because you have to work harder than an American to become a pharmacist.

You HAVE TO work harder than an American because you're in a foreign country, and the primary concern of the institutions of any country is to train the country's citizens. That's just how it is; deal with it. If you don't like it, you're free to go back to your home country and become a pharmacist there.

I'm not an American, either.

Wow, bitter about something?!? :eek:

(Maybe being able to spell has something to do with showing you are educated.)

Last edited:

I belive they are very good students. It's not easy thing which you think to get in a pharmacy school as a high school students.

I smell a troll...

Your post is disingenuous. If I had to guess, you are not complaining because you are concerned about the future of pharmacy, or because you are concerned about quality of education. You're complaining because you have to work harder than an American to become a pharmacist.

You HAVE TO work harder than an American because you're in a foreign country, and the primary concern of the institutions of any country is to train the country's citizens. That's just how it is; deal with it. If you don't like it, you're free to go back to your home country and become a pharmacist there.

I'm not an American, either.

Your posts are always so well-written and right on the spot. I don't know if I smell a troll but I am certainly ticked off and I haven't even been born here. I can't imagine how someone feels who's been born here when they read someone bashing them.

I have a lot of problems with Americans but yet I always remember that NO ONE forced me to move here, I did it all by myself. If I don't like it, I can always go back. Same goes for the author, I don't know why he thinks everyone is just going to bend back and forth to acomodate his educational plans.

How many schools take students directly out of high school? Maybe 5 schools out of 80+ schools???

Your posts are always so well-written and right on the spot. I don't know if I smell a troll but I am certainly ticked off and I haven't even been born here. I can't imagine how someone feels who's been born here when they read someone bashing them.
I reported the post.

I reported the post.

Good job, there's been a surplus of trolls lately. It's like Spring time and they all come to life after the winter recession. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Good job, there's been a surplus of trolls lately. It's like Spring time and they all come to life after the winter recession. :laugh:
:laugh:

We need some of this for repellent purposes.

troll_spray.jpg

The post history seems innocuous enough, perhaps things didn't work out as planned and 0-6 has something to do with it. It seems jackal head is in a rather frustrating situation given student visa status and lack of pharm schools that take international applicants. Though I would have thought US schools are more lenient for Canadians than most other international students given that the quality of education and financial requirements I would think are generally not as big as a concern compared to other countries. Then again, I can't say I ever had the need to do research into it. What say you OP?

Your posts are always so well-written and right on the spot.
Well, thanks! That's probably the nicest thing anyone has said to me on SDN.

I may be wrong, and the OP is not a troll. Perhaps he's just bitter, like Knick after his UT rejection. If that is the case, then I sympathize with the OP and hope s/he gets into pharmacy school next year.

However, OP please don't bash the system. It's the same system that will (hopefully) make me a pharmacist, and I would like to think it's a good one.

Well, the point of being a citizen of a country is so that you have advantages and preference over non-citizens.

That's what ticks me off when illegals just walk into the country and start sapping our resources. It's not that citizens don't want to do the dirty work, we just want to get paid well to do the dirty work.

I think what he means by 0-6, and a 2.3 are schools like St. Johns. Those kind of schools are slowly becoming extinct.

Note: I'm a US Citizen.

Caution: please don't let this thread degenerate into a debate over illegal immigration.

AMERICANS ARE STUPID FAST-FOOD EATING RED NECKS!!!! LOLz!!!! AMERICANS SHOULD BE MORE LIKE [instert jackal head's home country here]

img3.jpg

AMERICANS ARE STUPID FAST-FOOD EATING RED NECKS!!!! LOLz!!!! AMERICANS SHOULD BE MORE LIKE [instert jackal head's home country here]

img3.jpg

Jesus Christ, you gotta warn people when you insert pictures like that. I'll have nightmares for days to come now. This picture oddly enough closely resembles my former PI.

Yeah, sounds like someone's bitter. I had a BS in Biomedical Science from my home country and I was advised to take all my pre-reqs again to have a better chance of getting in. I could have been bitter about it, but instead I took it as an opportunity to review all the important stuff again and be doubly ready for pharm school. I'm actually glad I did them all again because there were things that I had forgotten and other things that my school totally didn't teach, plus it gave me an idea of what school in the US is like. I've worked hard to get to where I am now and I've never once thought about all the Americans that had it easier than me. In fact, I think there might be a small majority who haven't worked as hard as myself. And so what if it's harder for you to get in? Boo-hoo. Work twice as hard to get in and be proud when you get that acceptance letter because you know you earned it.

That's what ticks me off when illegals just walk into the country and start sapping our resources. It's not that citizens don't want to do the dirty work, we just want to get paid well to do the dirty work.

What ticks me off is Americans who are so anti-Mexican that they don't understand that super cheap labor and products from the other side of the planet are the biggest threat to our economy and way of life.

US citizens used to have a textiles industry, they used to make clothes. They had decent wages for it, too. Then it all was outsourced to places where labor is cheap and, on top of that, they don't even pay the workers fair wages because laws don't protect them.

IMO, everything sold in this country should be made under proper working conditions, regardless of where it was made.

If you guys want to do something about wages, buy American made products.

The post history seems innocuous enough, perhaps things didn't work out as planned and 0-6 has something to do with it. It seems jackal head is in a rather frustrating situation given student visa status and lack of pharm schools that take international applicants. Though I would have thought US schools are more lenient for Canadians than most other international students given that the quality of education and financial requirements I would think are generally not as big as a concern compared to other countries. Then again, I can't say I ever had the need to do research into it. What say you OP?

I was just reading something about how easy some people have it with this 0-6 programs and that irrated me to say the least.

I did not intend to come off as a troll though, just wanted some quick replies;).

Although I understand the logistics of it now, more accuratley, I've come to "accept" it. Status>Education. But one can argue it's not necessarily unfair.

id hate to feed the troll...

but how much would you like to get paid to pick strawberries...or to wash dishes? a well-paid dirty-job is an oxymoron

id hate to feed the troll...

but how much would you like to get paid to pick strawberries...or to wash dishes? a well-paid dirty-job is an oxymoron

Plumbers make damn good money.

well then, i can validly say that MOST foreign countries have it very good for thier children. Because MOST foreign countries have FREE education. All they have to do is show up. they dont have to pay for books, tuition, anything. Their parents take care of anything else finacially and the governments takes care of the schooling. :confused: IDK, I beg to differ. I would rather have the free education than have to pay an unsurpasable amount of money to go to school. ... See? both sides of the fence. :)...

Everything ISN'T fair Johnny. ;)

Well, the point of being a citizen of a country is so that you have advantages and preference over non-citizens.
Note: I'm a US Citizen.

Not necessarily. The government of the U.S. actually sponsors foreigners (sp?) to infiltrate our country and start their own businesses, go to school, etc. OUR government PAYS non-citizens majority of the time to Come into our country and PAYS for them to live here? :confused: Now that is something I have never understood. The non-citizens get thier free education, bills paid for, then come to the U.S. and get free money :confused: I am sooo confused. P.S. There are Thousands of U.S. citizens that have Bachelor degrees, Master degrees, PhD.'s, Associate degrees and STILL can't get a job in thier fields. But a non-citizen can swoop in and have it If they desire so.

BTW. Where are WE getting all this money from again? And if we have THAT much money, why are we in a recession (depression) right now? :( Shouldnt we be taking care of US now?

If one were to go to professional school, I would hope maintaining a 2.3 would be a joke to them, seeing as how most people maintain above at least a 3.0 if not a 3.4+

I don't know where you go, but 3.4+ in grad school is NOT easy, and I do not believe most people pull that.

Not because they can't, but because there is so much stress that people do not push themselves past their limits.

Not necessarily. The government of the U.S. actually sponsors foreigners (sp?) to infiltrate our country and start their own businesses, go to school, etc. OUR government PAYS non-citizens majority of the time to Come into our country and PAYS for them to live here? :confused: Now that is something I have never understood. The non-citizens get thier free education, bills paid for, then come to the U.S. and get free money :confused: I am sooo confused. P.S. There are Thousands of U.S. citizens that have Bachelor degrees, Master degrees, PhD.'s, Associate degrees and STILL can't get a job in thier fields. But a non-citizen can swoop in and have it If they desire so.

BTW. Where are WE getting all this money from again? And if we have THAT much money, why are we in a recession (depression) right now? :( Shouldnt we be taking care of US now?

Can you tell me where is all these money and education that I can collect being a non-citizen because I am on the verge of starvation and would really appreciate the extra cash.

Being a legal immigrant and moving here on a green card because one of my parents is a citizen, so far I have seen nothing but pouring hundreds and hundreds of dollars into this country w/out getting anything back.

I can't even afford to pay for my citizenship even though I've been eligible for it for almost two years because it now costs over 700 bucks to file a citizenship application + money for fingerprints.

P.S. Please do not turn this thread into a immigration debate. Majority of people that argue about this issue have no idea what it is like to be a legal immigrant and often confuse the two kinds. We actually PAY money to live/move here instead of just hopping across the border.

What ticks me off is Americans who are so anti-Mexican that they don't understand that super cheap labor and products from the other side of the planet are the biggest threat to our economy and way of life.

US citizens used to have a textiles industry, they used to make clothes. They had decent wages for it, too. Then it all was outsourced to places where labor is cheap and, on top of that, they don't even pay the workers fair wages because laws don't protect them.

IMO, everything sold in this country should be made under proper working conditions, regardless of where it was made.

If you guys want to do something about wages, buy American made products.

I'm not just Anti-Mexican, I'm just Anti-Illegal, whether you're from Mexico, Canada, Italy, I don't really care. By resources I mean things like Medicaid, Driver's Licenses, etc should not be given to illegals. I'm done with this argument.

Next thing. The money is the taxes we pay. Why are we in a recession? The quagmire in Iraq and Afghanistan. Was it really worth it to do a whole war? The Iraq war was bull from day #1. There were no WMDs, we just went there so that Bush's buddies who run energy companies had more places to get businesses.

I'm all for getting revenge for 9/11. It could have been done in a much easier way, such as sending in Special Ops to infiltrate and capture the people we want, and we could have bombed the hell out of the mountains where Osama is hiding.

P.S. Please do not turn this thread into a immigration debate. Majority of people that argue about this issue have no idea what it is like to be a legal immigrant and often confuse the two kinds. We actually PAY money to live/move here instead of just hopping across the border.

Cheburashka, I commend you and your family for seeking citizenship in the legal manner.

To all others: Unless you are a native American, we are ALL immigrants! Our country was built on immigration and should continue to do so. I do agree, however, that it should be carried out legally just as Cheburashka is doing.

On a side note--we are technically not in a recession. A recession requires two quarters of negative real GDP. The last two quarters have been really low and flat at around 0.6% but not negative. The economy certainly is unhealthy with inflation around 4.1% and unemployment at 5.1%, but not in a recession. Isn't economics a required pre-req for most pharmacy schools? Just sayin. :p

For those who think we Americans have it easy. . . please understand that not all of us do. Perhaps this could help you understand another side you maybe have not seen before. Sorry, it is kinda long but maybe it can be encouraging to someone, hopefully the op.

I am from a family that made less than 20k a year. I have 4 brothers and sisters, my mom went to school full time and worked full time. Therefore, I did a lot of the housework, helping siblings, and maintained a 4.0 all throughout grade school. At 16, I paid for all of my expenses, including my own car and insurance because I worked 30 hours a week during high school. When I graduated high school I worked 40-60 hours a week at two separate jobs while attending college fulltime. I was also involved in research and an officer in the prepharmacy club. I continued to do this through 6 years of college. I paid for my own college education. Also, there were three different instances when my dad had cancer surgeries, leaving him either without a job or any income for 3-4 months. On each of those occasions, I picked up my parents' financial slack (being that I have 4 younger siblings who could not work), helped take medical care of my dad, and still went to school full time. Not to mention, I have had family members with drug issues and AIDS--which bears an unheard of burden.

I am 25 years old, married, I have a chemistry/biochemistry double major (gpa3.35), I have kept my parents from losing their home and vehicle on several occasions, and finally, after trying three years to be accepted into pharmacy school, I am accepted.

The most important thing. . . I do not regret a single second of working hard, why? . . because when I received a call last Friday from the adcom asking me if I would like to attend pharmacy school, I guarantee it meant so much more to me because all that I had overcome to get there. That, no one can take from me. . . that joy is what matters to me. I know that I have earned every bit of the blessing of having the opportunity to obtain my Pharm.D. to help others with their pharmaceutical needs.

That, my friend is America. The OPPORTUNITY you must WORK for. And you are right, not everyone starts on the same page. But, America is about having the opportunity to work your way up from anywhere. I truly hope the best for you.

It is easier if you focus on your own path, not your path compared to someone else's. That bit of advice was given to me by my grandmother, because I had said some hateful things about spoiled students that did not have to work when they were in college. :oops: As you grow older, you will see that people are just people that want to be accepted.

Like cheburashka has at the end of her posts, Your success is directly proportional to how badly you want something.:) I would like to add, if you want it, work for it:D. Best of luck to you. Keep working hard, when the time is right, things will fall into place.:luck:

.......... On a side note--we are technically not in a recession. A recession requires two quarters of negative real GDP. The last two quarters have been really low and flat at around 0.6% but not negative. The economy certainly is unhealthy with inflation around 4.1% and unemployment at 5.1%, but not in a recession. Isn't economics a required pre-req for most pharmacy schools? Just sayin. :p

Yes, Economics is a pre-req for most pharmacy schools. What is your point of mentioning that? Are you implying that we haven't had Economics or did you want to know how we DID in Econ? well, Hmph, personally, i really could care less about that class. It was okay i guess. Nothing like i expected though. Alot of graphs and stuff. :D

Now to address the stats in your statement above:

According to U.S. Chamber Magazine:
"..we are projecting the unemployment rate to climb through the remainder of the year to just below 5.5%." - I can quote numbers all day long too, but the fact of the matter is that:

According to EconPolitik:
"theoretically there can be a recession with no quarters of negative GDP growth. And by the way, this occurrence has a name; it's called a Growth Recession."

Final point and statement from me on this issue:
" for example the 2001 recession never had 2 consecutive quarters of negative growth. Economists have the handy-dandy National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) to decide on recessions for them… a year or two after the fact."

Please dont feel attacked. :)

Can you tell me where is all these money and education that I can collect being a non-citizen because I am on the verge of starvation and would really appreciate the extra cash.

If you would please go back and read my quote, I actually said there are a LOT of countries that give free education and books and the parents pay for everything else. I have NO IDEA where you are from, I wasn't talking about you personally, that was just a general statement for those people that CURRENTLY live in countries LIKE THAT.

*I never said that there is free education like that for everyone IN the U.S. *

I am assuming you are currently in the U.S.

Recession, stagflation, both are bad for the economy. We could deal with the inflation if there was actual economic growth happening, but it isn't. We have got to get out of Iraq and the government has to invest a lot in Research and Development. New materials and technologies create more jobs.

I still think that the French have the best economic engine today. They have free and GREAT education, very good healthcare, great culture, happy people.

I was in Paris three weeks ago, and everyone was so friendly over there. I remember seeing Micheal Moore's film "Sicko" and I almost believe that section about the French now and their great healthcare system!

Perhaps we should look up to the European Union. I think that their system is obviously working and ours isn't. Also, their currency is even worth 1.5 times what our currency is worth.

We need to fix the gas problem by having our own public transportation the same way as in Western Europe right now. That would eliminate our dependence on cars and gas. In Paris, ALL the cars get at least 35 miles per gallon, and you rarely see very big trucks if any at all.

Furthermore, the French are even stricter about letting non EU citizens work there than the US There is no such thing as optional practical training. You either find a job within three weeks or you go back. They try to protect their citizens as much as they can over there. I am not against foreigners who work hard at all. I am against the illegals though like many people.

Obviously, France, Germany, Switzerland, and the Western European countries seem to be on the right track. I think the European Union is the new superpower currently, and not so much the US anymore. But again, that is only my opinion.

I still think that the French have the best economic engine today. They have free and GREAT education, very good healthcare, great culture, happy people.

I was in Paris three weeks ago, and everyone was so friendly over there. I remember seeing Micheal Moore's film "Sicko" and I almost believe that section about the French now and their great healthcare system!

Perhaps we should look up to the European Union. I think that their system is obviously working and ours isn't. Also, their currency is even worth 1.5 times what our currency is worth.

We need to fix the gas problem by having our own public transportation the same way as in Western Europe right now. That would eliminate our dependence on cars and gas. In Paris, ALL the cars get at least 35 miles per gallon, and you rarely see very big trucks if any at all.

Furthermore, the French are even stricter about letting non EU citizens work there than the US There is no such thing as optional practical training. You either find a job within three weeks or you go back. They try to protect their citizens as much as they can over there. I am not against foreigners who work hard at all. I am against the illegals though like many people.

Obviously, France, Germany, Switzerland, and the Western European countries seem to be on the right track. I think the European Union is the new superpower currently, and not so much the US anymore. But again, that is only my opinion.

This is a very good informative post, I have a lot of French and Russian friends that lived here awhile back and for the most part they feel the same way as you.

A few days ago I was talking with my fiancee and it came to our attention that I have achieved my little part of the American Dream, achieving your goals from the bottom up. I used to think, like Hoosier said before, that people who come from wealth have it easier. You know what, they do! of course it is easier when your mom and dad are both pharmacists and you want to become a pharmacist. You have help, money, and connections. In most cases, not ALL, but most, of which I have friends that are well off and agree: You don't have to worry about where your next meal is going to come from. You don't have to struggle to pay for college and books. You may not even have to work, and if you do, it is certainly not to pay the rent. Then let's talk about the connections of having parent(s) that are pharmacists, know the drill, can help with planning pre-requisites, the PCAT, figuring out where you can obtain experience, and what is best to have on your application. If they are an alumni, this is also a bonus. Let's be honest, wealth breeds wealth. That is just they way it is, no need to blame. Most of our presidents and elite figures come from the same ten families with wealthy backgrounds. Of course life could be handed to you on a silver platter OR you could work your booty off for it!
I did not come from a rich family, in fact we lived moderately. There are no PharmD.s, MD's, or Ph.D's. in my family. My brother is still in debt from his student loans to afford college 8 years ago. I did not have everything growing up, especially my parent's support. My brother helped me along. I still graduated second in my class and was accepted to a Top university in New Orleans. All my college plans seemed perfect until I spent my freshman move-in weekend fleeing from Hurricane Katrina. I had to find another school and make other plans.
My dad walked out on our family during this period, and my parents divorced my freshman year of college. My mom does not talk to me because I have my dad's last name ( I know, she gave it to me, but that's my mom for you), and my dad got a crazy new wife so he decided to move across the state. What can you do? At the present time, I don't really have any "parents" so to speak. My brother and fiancee are my family. In between all this, my dad was hospitalized, my fiancee had health issues, and I was bitten by a venomous snake.
My fiancee and I moved in together my sophomore year, and we both work full-time to support ourselves. Living on your own is not easy and those who have done it know. But, you know what, I am stronger because of it. We pay for our books and whatever scholarships do not cover, but paycheck to paycheck living is rough. It's all worth it for the memories and strength I have gained.
It's... sitting by a candle to read because the lights go turned off
....going to Amscot to get a payday advance when you don't quite have enough for the rent
...eating ramen or pb&j 3 times a day for a week
...going to Sav-A-Lot with 10 dollars (in quarters) to see what you can get

It's understanding what it's like to struggle and the satisfaction of truly making it. You know, there are plenty of times I could have given up. BUT, I didn't. I think everyone has hard struggles in their lives and it is easy to blame someone else. It is easy to say, well they had more money so they did not have to struggle pay PharmCas fees, while scraping up all that you have. It is easy to say, "their parents were doctors." It's easy to say the admissions process was unfair. It's easy to say I couldn't study because I had to work. It's not easy to say, that is all true, but I am going to rise above and work harder.
And you know what, this is my DREAM. Dream is not a word to be used lightly. This is many of our dreams. I have been working to get into pharmacy school since I started school in general. This is what I want, so I will make all the sacrifices I have to in order to get in. This is what we ALL have to do. No matter your background, it can be achieved. You may have to work harder than the next person, but it's possible, AND I MUST ADD SO MUCH MORE WORTH IT! If you are truly passionate about something, you will scrape the money and eat some pb&j because this is who you are, not just what you want to do. I'll agree that it's unfair at times, but there is no point in saying it was easier for someone else. On the surface that may seem true, but that person who had such "low numbers" and got in, may have an amazing quality to bring to the table that you don't know about. Everything happens for a reason! What you also don't know is that the person who had it easier likely has no idea what it's like to be on the other side.
"You cannot change the cards you are dealt, only how you play the hand."
The character and strength of you being the person who has to overcome the struggles, will make that acceptance letter so much sweeter.
I am actually in a place I was not sure I would be, as in March I had zero acceptances and only one interview. I can definitely thank God that I was accepted to two schools and I have an interview on Thursday at my number 1 choice. The road is not meant to be easy, or everyone would travel it. It's the twists and turns, the triumphs and tribulations, the joy and the hurt, that make the experience. Life has tests, that prove to you and others how much you really want it. After all is said, I would not trade my Ramen nights that made the indelible bond between my fiancee and I or the seemingly endless nights of studying for anything. I worked to build myself from humble roots to entrance in a PharmD. program, and I was absolutely ecstatic and accomplished when I read that first acceptance letter. There are few things in life from which you can gain satisfaction, but working hard through the obstacles (no matter what they are) to achieve your dream is 100% one of them!:)

Best of luck to everyone! :love:
God Bless!

Please no mean messages or flaming. This is not meant to say my life was any harder than anyone else’s or to sympathize or anything like that, just to share a message from the heart and give a little insight on the topic. Thanks!

Final point and statement from me on this issue: " for example the 2001 recession never had 2 consecutive quarters of negative growth. Economists have the handy-dandy National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) to decide on recessions for them… a year or two after the fact."

Wrong. 2Q/01 was -1.59 real GDP and 3Q/01 was -0.29 real GDP.

The point I was making in my earlier post was that if economics is a required class for pre-pharmacy then we should all know the definition of a recession. That's all. And if you go back and re-read it, you'll see that I did agree that the economy is unhealthy.

Let's not discuss this anymore...school is out for the summer. :hardy:

On a side note--we are technically not in a recession. A recession requires two quarters of negative real GDP. The last two quarters have been really low and flat at around 0.6% but not negative. The economy certainly is unhealthy with inflation around 4.1% and unemployment at 5.1%, but not in a recession. Isn't economics a required pre-req for most pharmacy schools? Just sayin. :p

Stuff like recessions and GDP don't really measure the health of the majority of the people.

Example: US has the highest GDP in the world while Finland is #34. This would imply that Americans are better off than the Finnish. This is not the case - the Fins enjoy a much better quality of life than we do.

The reason is that the wealth distribution is extremely unequal. The bottom 40% of Americans only have 1% of the wealth where the bottom 40% of Fins might have 4% of the wealth.

My point of this? Even though we might not be in a "recession" that just means that the wealthy are doing fine. The poor? Who knows. After 2001's recession, when things got better, the poor actually fell while the rich became richer.

Cambio: Thanks for sharing your story. I always enjoy reading about humbling experiences. Good luck to you.

Cambio, I am so glad that you have had your dream come true. Best of luck to you:luck:

At the present time, I don't really have any "parents" so to speak. My brother and fiancee are my family.

I know what that feels like and it is hard. I went through 8 years in which my stepmom and I didn't speak and there was also 10 years in which my dad and I didn't speak. I honestly thought I would never speak to either of them again. And since my mother left when I was four, I also felt as if I didn't really have any "parents", either.

Enough time passed and we all finally got over it. We are on good terms now (even though my dad and stepmom have been divorced for many years they actually see each other regularly now - who would of thought).

My point being, I know this is a hard period in your life, but people change and who knows what the future holds. Just keep doing what you need to do for you, and maybe your parents will come around. And if they don't, you'll still be in a better place cuz you've built a life for yourself.

I do think Europe is to be praised for coming this far in such a short period of time. Sixty-three years ago, Europe was a mess. People were starving to death, and they were trying to rebuild after being almost completely destroyed by hatred, bombs and nationalism. (Europe was rebuilt with a huge boost from the Marshal Plan which was funded largely by the American government.) However, the European Union is not much more than an economic bloc. They have no cohesion beyond their wallets (which is proving to be just enough cohesion to keep the peace).

Western Europeans embraced a more socialistic model that sought to protect workers rights, codified non-discrimination and guaranteed healthcare for everyone. It was a period of phenomenal economic growth. It was also a period of phenomenal immigration from developing countries (largely Turkey and other mid-East countries). The guest workers were imported strictly for the purposes of rebuilding Europe with no intentions of them staying permanently.

But stay they did. Now Europe struggles to deal with a population that never integrated into mainstream society and cannot maintain themselves economically. Europe is still the go-to place for middle-Easterners and illegal immigration is a big problem. The dichotomy between European and Foreigner (some European languages capitalize their word for immigrants) has been a big drain on the European economy and has hurt Europe's social cohesion.

So, while I love and admire Europe for many reasons, the place is no utopia. They have their own problems some of which are very similar to the problems we have here.

I was just reading something about how easy some people have it with this 0-6 programs and that irrated me to say the least.

I did not intend to come off as a troll though, just wanted some quick replies;).

Although I understand the logistics of it now, more accuratley, I've come to "accept" it. Status>Education. But one can argue it's not necessarily unfair.

status? Achievment here is almost always based on working hard in school and very rarely attributed to "status" (statistically).

Of my my 4 best friends from high school

2 have dropped out of college and are now going back. Both will probably end up making half of your future salary if not less.

One is a business major doing pretty well.

Another is a music major not doing very well in school.

So you are in a better situation and your future looks brighter than all but possibly one (if even him) than my best friends from high school.

be thankful you either had parents and family who supported you to get you where you are today or that you have the opportunity to be a pharmacist through some other means including self determination (It sounds like your not in yet but my guess is you will eventually get in...)

Status...your common American is considered vermon by many of the richest of our country (rockefellers etc). Yes Americans are lucky they were born in a country that has a nice past and is dominant but your average person has it hard too and things are only looking to get worse and worse for us. I'm estatic that I will have a high paying job in demand because most of my peers dont have a future that looks as bright as mine. Granted i understand we may have it easier than somone in Africa or probably even India but you know what you made it here too so stop complaining. BTW not very many Americans even do a 0-6 program (when compared with all pharmacy students as a whole). I didnt even know a pharmacist had to have a doctorate or that I was interested in it when I got out of high school.