surfguy84

7+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2012
Status
Medical Student
So I'm trying to heed wise goro when he reminds us that patience is a virtue, but it get difficult at times when all I can think is I'm being silently rejected.

Do people who were complete in, August for instance, really get ii's 3, 4 , 5+ months down the road? I've heard no news is good news because it means I'm still in the running, but am I holding out hope for no serious chance at this point?

About the Ads

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Hang in there @surfguy84. I'm in a very similar situation as you...I've got about 8 schools I've been complete at for a couple of months now that I haven't heard a peep from. On the bright side, I have heard of people getting rejections from these schools, so since we haven't gotten that, I suppose we're still in the running. The past couple of weeks have been quite hard for me, so I understand how you must be feeling too.

And I too thought @Goro was a he....mysterious...

Reactions: Sean Lee

Roxas

Giggity!
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2012
Twilight Town
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hang in there @surfguy84. I'm in a very similar situation as you...I've got about 8 schools I've been complete at for a couple of months now that I haven't heard a peep from. On the bright side, I have heard of people getting rejections from these schools, so since we haven't gotten that, I suppose we're still in the running. The past couple of weeks have been quite hard for me, so I understand how you must be feeling too.

And I too thought @Goro was a he....mysterious...
lol it's true, sometimes no news is good news

Reactions: redvelvet89

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student
That said, I feel similar to surf guy, in that, ii after months of silence seems unlikely. Can anyone else comment about whether this actually does happen with regularity or its just typically a blue moon occurrence...

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student
It depends on the school and what your stats are. I had over 2 months of silence before finally getting an ii to DMU. As much as I hate to say it, sometimes they just want to interview a lot of other people first, but that doesn't mean you should give up hope. DO schools tend to get a lot of movement on their on-hold or wait lists. I know it's painful, I've been there. Just try and keep yourself sane in the mean time, and stay optimistic :)
Thanks man.

I've got a 30 and gpa's around the school median...I'm surprised I havent had more than three ii's so far, but ill hold out hope that they're coming in the next couple of months..

Roxas

Giggity!
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2012
Twilight Town
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thanks man.

I've got a 30 and gpa's around the school median...I'm surprised I havent had more than three ii's so far, but ill hold out hope that they're coming in the next couple of months..
What schools specifically are you waiting for?

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student
What schools specifically are you waiting for?
AZCOM, CCOM, Nova, and Touro NY. Recently applied to PCOM ga/pa, Touro NV, and campbell....so less concerned about them (dont even think im complete at touronv yet)

karling

5+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Those are heavy hitting schools, and NSU fills their class quicker than most DO schools. I don't even think NSU has sent out any IIs for a month or two. (Edit: Looks like they did send out some IIs this week. Didn't notice that until right now.) Touro NY just began sending out IIs, probably beginning with IS and/or very high stats OOS applicants. If you hear from them, it probably won't be until later in the year for an interview in the spring. Despite being a private school, CCOM seems to have an IS bias (or at least a Midwest bias). AZCOM is gunning for people with high MCATs; 30 is actually on the low end of what they're looking for, considering they seemingly haven't even interviewed anyone below a 29 yet. Regardless, AZCOM is probably your best bet out of those 4.

PCOM GA has a Southern bias (this is clearly stated on their web site) and PCOM PA has their pick of their litter considering they get so many highly qualified applicants. They do seem to weigh community service and ECs heavily, which may work in your favor. Not sure what Campbell is looking for exactly, but they seem to be picky. Not sure about Touro NV either.

I could be wrong, but these are the impressions I get from what I've seen on SDN and the schools' web sites.

Last edited:

studentp0x

Membership Revoked
Removed
Sep 21, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Those are heavy hitting schools, and NSU fills their class quicker than most DO schools. I don't even think NSU has sent out any IIs for a month or two. (Edit: Looks like they did send out some IIs this week. Didn't notice that until right now.) Touro NY just began sending out IIs, probably beginning with IS and/or very high stats OOS applicants. If you hear from them, it probably won't be until later in the year for an interview in the spring. Despite being a private school, CCOM seems to have an IS bias (or at least a Midwest bias). AZCOM is gunning for people with high MCATs; 30 is actually on the low end of what they're looking for, considering they seemingly haven't even interviewed anyone below a 29 yet. Regardless, AZCOM is probably your best bet out of those 4.

PCOM GA has a Southern bias (this is clearly stated on their web site) and PCOM PA has their pick of their litter considering they get so many highly qualified applicants. They do seem to weigh community service and ECs heavily, which may work in your favor. Not sure what Campbell is looking for exactly, but they seem to be picky. Not sure about Touro NV either.

I could be wrong, but these are the impressions I get from what I've seen on SDN and the schools' web sites.
- NSU has been very slow this year, talked to someone on admissions who confirmed that basically
- touroNY doesnt care about state or citizenship
- azcom will probably take in plenty of 27-28s in the new year and average out at 30-31

About the Ads

Abraxas65

5+ Year Member
May 30, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Wait I thought @Goro wasn't a man or woman just faculty!? You mean to tell me the people who decided if we are good enough to become doctors are actually... well people! I can't accept this, I refuse to believe medical school acceptances aren't decided on a supernatural level.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goro

karling

5+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
- NSU has been very slow this year, talked to someone on admissions who confirmed that basically
- touroNY doesnt care about state or citizenship
- azcom will probably take in plenty of 27-28s in the new year and average out at 30-31
Nice. That probably explains why someone on the NSU thread said they got an II this week. I think that's pretty late for NSU, isn't it?

Also nice to hear that Touro NY doesn't take residence into account. I'm applying there as well... On an unrelated note, someone posted that their MCAT average for matriculating students is 30.8, which I believe is the highest of all DO schools. Not sure if that was 2013 or 2014.

I agree that AZCOM will probably have to start interviewing (and accepting) people with lower MCATs, but right now they are not. Right now 29 is their floor, and the higher the better. The reason why I said yanks's best bet is AZCOM is because in the next couple months they're going to start interviewing people with 27s and 28s, and suddenly his 30 will look much better.

Reactions: Goro

polylux

5+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2014
Status
Medical Student

From what I hear, CUSOM want people who are a good fit, which would mean service oriented and IS.

studentp0x

Membership Revoked
Removed
Sep 21, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Nice. That probably explains why someone on the NSU thread said they got an II this week. I think that's pretty late for NSU, isn't it?

Also nice to hear that Touro NY doesn't take residence into account. I'm applying there as well... On an unrelated note, someone posted that their MCAT average for matriculating students is 30.8, which I believe is the highest of all DO schools. Not sure if that was 2013 or 2014.

I agree that AZCOM will probably have to start interviewing (and accepting) people with lower MCATs, but right now they are not. Right now 29 is their floor, and the higher the better. The reason why I said yanks's best bet is AZCOM is because in the next couple months they're going to start interviewing people with 27s and 28s, and suddenly his 30 will look much better.
The dean has to sign off on all NSU decisions and hasnt been available much lately.. I believe. It's a myth that they're an MCAT loving school, they look for 27-28s mainly (what the adcom told a student in person) but are open to 25-26s as well.
Yea touroNY literally doesnt care about residence or citizenship status at all. 30.8 is probably the average of those accepted and not necessarily matriculants...

nm825

7+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2012
Status
I have the feeling NSU is pretty much filled for interviews. Unless you applied in July, I think you pretty much have to have good numbers and even better ECs. I applied in early August with a 3.6/35 but with just average ECs, and I haven't gotten an ii. According to the school thread, they're only interviewing ~450 this year, so I think you have to be a superstar.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2007
Narnia
Status
Medical Student
I have the feeling NSU is pretty much filled for interviews. Unless you applied in July, I think you pretty much have to have good numbers and even better ECs. I applied in early August with a 3.6/35 but with just average ECs, and I haven't gotten an ii. According to the school thread, they're only interviewing ~450 this year, so I think you have to be a superstar.

abolt18

I regret nothing. The end.
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I waited 3 months for an ii from KCOM. The rest of mine came pretty quick.

Jan 15, 2014
Status
Non-Student

I was complete at AZCOM on September 12th. I have a 33 MCAT and still no interview...

avivace

5+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2013
Status
Medical Student
The admissions process is mysterious and unpredictable and I've been surprised by which schools I heard back from quickly. For what its worth, I was complete at various schools between one and two months ago. The time from complete to ii has ranged from less than a day to almost two months, with quite a few schools still silent post-secondary. I could not have predicted any school's response time. Most schools interview into March, and even if they've filled all their interview slots people are already starting to turn down interviews because of other acceptances. I suspect some people may sit in the maybe pile for up to nine months, since schools can't know how many of their first choices to interview will cancel.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2013
Where I want to be
Status
Medical Student
Most of my secondaries were complete in July, and I only just started receiving IIs. I have friends who got interviews in March after 6+ months of silence (and eventually acceptances from those IIs), so don't stress this early in the game. Good luck. :)

Last edited:
About the Ads