How common are PGY 3 positions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicool

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short. I will graduate next year and will need a J1 waiver sponsoring job. My wife is also a psychiatry resident and we want to move together as a family. I am looking for academic jobs primarily that can accommodate her as she also wants to do a child fellowship after pgy 3. So far the places where all these fit in are few and far and I am thinking of contacting local residency programs in cities where I have private jobs available. In your experience, how often do programs take PGY 3s? And in places which traditionally do not have FMGs, are they more open to FMGs as transfers?

Members don't see this ad.

Long story short. I will graduate next year and will need a J1 waiver sponsoring job. My wife is also a psychiatry resident and we want to move together as a family. I am looking for academic jobs primarily that can accommodate her as she also wants to do a child fellowship after pgy 3. So far the places where all these fit in are few and far and I am thinking of contacting local residency programs in cities where I have private jobs available. In your experience, how often do programs take PGY 3s? And in places which traditionally do not have FMGs, are they more open to FMGs as transfers?
She'll have an easier path if she waits until after PGY3 and jumps into a CAP fellowship. You should be able to find a waivered job somewhere nearby.

She'll have an easier path if she waits until after PGY3 and jumps into a CAP fellowship. You should be able to find a waivered job somewhere nearby.

That is true, but we have a 5-month-old which makes things harder if we were apart for a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Be mindful of the 12 months of continuous outpatient needed in the same institution. If she fast tracks into a third program, this will be very unlikely. She would have to have done all requirements except outpatient in PGY-I and PGY-II years, and 12 months of outpatient and nothing but outpatient in the PGY-III year.

Be mindful of the 12 months of continuous outpatient needed in the same institution. If she fast tracks into a third program, this will be very unlikely. She would have to have done all requirements except outpatient in PGY-I and PGY-II years, and 12 months of outpatient and nothing but outpatient in the PGY-III year.

Just want to say that it's absolutely possible to enter CAP fellowship w/ 12 months of non continuous outpatient

That is true, but we have a 5-month-old which makes things harder if we were apart for a year.
And are there really no waivered positions within 60 miles or so of her program that you could work at in the meantime?
How about a local Addiction, Gero, or Psychosomatic Fellowship for you to pass the time?

Just want to say that it's absolutely possible to enter CAP fellowship w/ 12 months of non continuous outpatient
Sure, you can enter a fellowship, but you may have to do an additional year to be board eligible for adult boards. I had a resident go to another program for PGY-III, then entered a child fellowship at a third place for two years and he/she was told he/she had to do more outpatient at any one of the three places before he/she could take boards.

Sure, you can enter a fellowship, but you may have to do an additional year to be board eligible for adult boards. I had a resident go to another program for PGY-III, then entered a child fellowship at a third place for two years and he/she was told he/she had to do more outpatient at any one of the three places before he/she could take boards.

Not sure about if you go to a different program for R3, but if it's at the same program I can say for a fact that even if your outpatient is discontinuous, entering fellowship (and taking boards) is do-able. That being said I did have a longitudinal resident clinic (2 hours a week) that was continuous.

That is true, the same program is the same program. This was split 3 ways. I understand that exceptions have been granted for program closures, hurricanes whipping out hospitals and that sort of thing.

Reactions: 1 user
And are there really no waivered positions within 60 miles or so of her program that you could work at in the meantime?
How about a local Addiction, Gero, or Psychosomatic Fellowship for you to pass the time?

We are in the same program now and we don't have any fellowships here. The only thing I could do is a Hospice and palliative medicine which I really have no interest in or we stay back here for my waiver and my wife completes her adult training and postpones the child fellowship to later (or never) . I did talk to some places but nothing solid yet. One consideration is to do a 7 on/ 7off in any city with the hope that she can get into child fellowship in that city but that could be a gamble.