How common is it to attend an endo residency straight out of dental school? What class percentile do you need it be in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LidocaineMane32

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I start dental school this year and have an interest in endo and would like to know if it’s common to attend a endo residency directly out of dental school or if a AEGD/GPR is necessary me a better candidate? If right out of school, do you need to graduate in a high percentile like OS? What can I do during dental school to make myself an attractive candidate for endo residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Impress the chair and program director. It’s more than rank, GPA, and interest. You have to be someone they want to teach and mold. And also someone they don’t have to put too much effort into. It’s just tougher to be that person right out of school. It’s possible though.

Reactions: 1 users
I know one person who matched right out of school. They were truly exceptional in many ways, won many research awards and were also top of the class etc. They matched at Harvard for endo, so definitely a more academic focused person and residency program.

I also read this article before that shows another person that did:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Impress the chair and program director. It’s more than rank, GPA, and interest. You have to be someone they want to teach and mold. And also someone they don’t have to put too much effort into. It’s just tougher to be that person right out of school. It’s possible though.
What do you say that it is highly possible to get into an Endo residency at the dental school that you attended?

They matched at Harvard for endo, so definitely a more academic focused person and residency program.

You don't match for endo. They chose to go to a 3-year, $100k per year endo program in a city with two other endo programs. HSDM is a terrible choice for endo IMO.

You don't match for endo. They chose to go to a 3-year, $100k per year endo program in a city with two other endo programs. HSDM is a terrible choice for endo IMO.
Yeah forgot endo is non-match. yup I think this was the only place they got in. I think for future academics and researchers school like HSDM, Michigan, Penn make more sense but I have never heard anything good about the clinical experiences there.