How common is part time hospice or palli work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tealeafexplorer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would love to do hospice and palli part time 1-2 times a week.

trending towards the end of med school, I love and see myself as an FM doc, but would love to work 1-2 days a week in hospice or palli.

how common is this?

mom assuming much more common with at hone hospice than palli. But I’m not sure

Members don't see this ad.

at the hospital where I did residency, there are 3 Palli docs: 2 part-time, 1 full-time. (N=3)

At the end of the day, who cares how common it is? It's possible so it depends on what you want.

It is common.

There are 6 docs in our palliative department. Only myself and 1 other are 1.0 FTE. The other 4 are <0.8 FTE (granted most for academic/admin purposes).

If you want a full-time position, those exist. If you want a part-time position, those exist too. Like Entadus mentions above, just do it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I do 1 week Palliative, 1 week EM, rinse, repeat. I love it. Being in academics makes this set up easier.

If you want to have a Family Med practice, you'd probably have more luck working part time with a hospice agency. That is also very doable.

I do 1 week Palliative, 1 week EM, rinse, repeat. I love it. Being in academics makes this set up easier.

If you want to have a Family Med practice, you'd probably have more luck working part time with a hospice agency. That is also very doable.

what does time off look like in this model?

what does time off look like in this model?
4 weeks paid vacation/year. I have most weekends & holidays off. I also get protected time, but that's pretty individualized. Some folks have 10% protected time, some have 40% - depends on what else you're doing.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, everyone. Pediatrician here. I'll be finishing my PICU fellowship in 2023 and planning on doing a HPM fellowship thereafter. Ideally would want to do 50/50. Realistic? Any guidance or advice appreciated.

Hey, everyone. Pediatrician here. I'll be finishing my PICU fellowship in 2023 and planning on doing a HPM fellowship thereafter. Ideally would want to do 50/50. Realistic? Any guidance or advice appreciated.
With the caveat that I am only applying and not yet in the field, I can’t see why not. I have met 2-3 people on the interview trail who do this or some variation.

having said that, my best guess would be it depends more on your specific institution than on anything else, assuming you don’t want to move somewhere else.

Totally realistic, especially if you're interested in working in an academic institution (which is where most Peds Palliative patients end up anyway).