How competitive am I as a premed student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dogfeet

Reaction score
Good evening, everyone!
I wanted to know how competitive I am as a medical school applicant, and I wanted to hear different opinions and views. Please feel free to comment and voice your thoughts. I don't really have a lot of people around me to discuss or get evaluated(?) from, so I would love to know where I currently stand and what to do to improve my status!

1. I am a senior majoring in biomedical sciences, minoring in chemistry and physics.
2. I have dropped one class during my second semester as a junior. I dropped the class before I took the first exam due to schedule changes.( I don't know if these counts.. but just in case!)
3.My overall GPA is a 4.0 so far.
4. I took calc 1 and statistics for math.
5. I had worked in a hospital as a food service worker for 2 years to get patient interaction with some experience in the health care field. Worked as a tutor on campus for a year as well.
6. Did an internship during the summer at a medical school
9. Biomechanical research ( hoping to publish a paper by the end of this year): I wasn't going to do research but at the end of my junior year I found a professor who was looking for students to do heart research so I joined.
10. Bilingual (idk if this even matters .,. but)
11. I don't have any leadership experiences besides doing a leadership program as a freshmen.
12. No club involvement. (joined some as a freshmen but it never became something that grew on me..)
13. Shadowed multiple areas: cardiology, emergency, internal medicine, cardiothoracic surgery, endocrinology.

This is all I can remember so far.. How does it look? I have not taken the MCAT yet. How competitive am I as a premed student? Am I average? Also, my school is a small state school. I wanted some opinions and advices! Thanks for your time :)

p.s. please disregard my username lol

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Did I miss non clinical volunteering in the list? If not, you should get that! Other stuff are great!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Take the mcat then we will see

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to know how competitive I am as a medical school applicant, and I wanted to hear different opinions and views. Please feel free to comment and voice your thoughts. I don't really have a lot of people around me to discuss or get evaluated(?) from, so I would love to know where I currently stand and what to do to improve my status!

1. I am a senior majoring in biomedical sciences, minoring in chemistry and physics.
2. I have dropped one class during my second semester as a junior. I dropped the class before I took the first exam due to schedule changes.( I don't know if these counts.. but just in case!)
3.My overall GPA is a 4.0 so far.
4. I took calc 1 and statistics for math.
5. I had worked in a hospital as a food service worker for 2 years to get patient interaction with some experience in the health care field. Worked as a tutor on campus for a year as well.
6. Now I transferred to surgery and am a retractor holder.
7. Volunteered at another local hospital in the NICU.
8. Did an internship during the summer at a medical school
9. Biomechanical research ( hoping to publish a paper by the end of this year): I wasn't going to do research but at the end of my junior year I found a professor who was looking for students to do heart research so I joined.
10. Bilingual (idk if this even matters .,. but)
11. I don't have any leadership experiences besides doing a leadership program as a freshmen.
12. No club involvement. (joined some as a freshmen but it never became something that grew on me..)
13. Shadowed multiple areas: cardiology, emergency, internal medicine, cardiothoracic surgery, endocrinology.

This is all I can remember so far.. How does it look? I have not taken the MCAT yet. How competitive am I as a premed student? Am I average? Also, my school is a small state school. I wanted some opinions and advices!
Comments:

-I, too, missed seeing non-medical community service. If you have none, get it going ASAP. Find an organization you care about that serves those in need.
-Attending a leadership development program is meaningless if you never later demonstrated your leadership abilities afterward, so don't list that.
-College clubs that don't lead to community service or leadership don't help you, so don't worry about having no involvement.
-One W won't hurt you.
-Nice GPA.
-Add some hobbies and/or artistic endeavors to your Activities list when you apply.

>4.0 GPA and planning to publish a science article
>Am I average?
lol
Many pre-meds would kill to be in your position. Do well on the MCAT and get some non-clinical volunteering hours, and you'll be a highly competitive applicant.

Last edited:
If that is you in your profile picture, you should change it. Anonymity is the name of the game.

You'll be fine. A lot depends on your MCAT.