How competitive am I for EM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ERdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I just received my board scores today and was not as happy with the score I received...especially with the time I put into studying for them...Anyways I was curious (and I did search for other threads like this but could not find any) how competitive someone with a 224 step 1 score and top 1/2 of class would be for EM. Like what kind of program would I be competitive for (university based program, competitive programs, etc.) Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

With a 224 you will be competetive for all programs..

Members don't see this ad :)
Y'all are slipping. damn near an hour passed between the first how competitive am I thread of the season and the first mention of docB's ultracompetitive in-n-out residency.

To the OP, don't worry a really low board score might close some doors but yours is fine. Now you just need to worry about the rest or your package.

ERdoc said:
Well I just received my board scores today and was not as happy with the score I received...especially with the time I put into studying for them...Anyways I was curious (and I did search for other threads like this but could not find any) how competitive someone with a 224 step 1 score and top 1/2 of class would be for EM. Like what kind of program would I be competitive for (university based program, competitive programs, etc.) Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks
Give it up you have no chance. I hear path is hiring though...... :p

ERdoc said:

Thanks

You would need one more point for EM, sorry. You might should think about taking a year off to do
:eek: research :eek:

StudentDoc327 said:
You would need one more point for EM, sorry. You might should think about taking a year off to do

LOL...you guys are hilarious...No but seriously I was feeling pretty down yesterday b/c I put so much time into this exam and didn't feel like I received a score that was reflective of my efforts. Ah well...thanks for the many comments, both supportive and non-supportive ;)

I'm have been considering EM as well, but I don't think I have a shot. I scored a 250 on step 1 and only have one publication (which are the new ACLS guidelines). Should I do 4 EM elective rotations?

BadVB750 said:
and only have one publication (which are the new ACLS guidelines).
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously though OP, you aren't going to get much of a response here that is terribly constructive. I bet if you search "am I competitive" or something like that, you will find many, many, many response. 2/3 of the responses will be unhelpful and the remaining 1/3 will say that you will be just fine. Truth is, your score is above average. It may not be what you wanted but it is not an obstacle for your EM application. Do a bit of searching and you will find that this is the general answer. Hope it helps. Good luck.

On a more serious note, some programs actually have step 1 cutoffs. If I remember correctly, Emory has a cutoff of 225. Other programs will have a cutoff for the initial round of interviews, then lower it as people decline invites. With a 224, you will get plenty of interviews, and will definitely match, unless you are a social *****. Anyway, focus on 3rd year, as those grades/evals are much more important than boards. Later.

ERdoc said:
Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks

...so, to complete this well-rounded sum of opinions I went as far as I asked the stars (yes astrology) specifically about your case. At first they said you were predestined to be chronically unable to suture wounds on peoples' right medial malleoli, wich they thought may even drive you away from EM in order to escape such a stigma. However, after I pulled out chocolatte-cheese cake they softened up and admitted that with your score you may also be fine getting a residency spot after all.

P.S.: in case of any discrepancies between this prediction and reality - I specifically spoke with the constellations of Lyra and Leo (should you order a trial)

your score is fine. no, its not perfect, but it puts you squarly under the heading of "competitive." You have to eval the rest of your package to determine how many electives, where you should apply, and any other aspects of matching. I assume you are at the beginning of your MSIII, so, work hard this year, honor a few rotations, and kill Step II if you are really worried. If you do the above, you can put yourself in great position.

BadVB750 said:
I'm have been considering EM as well, but I don't think I have a shot. I scored a 250 on step 1 and only have one publication (which are the new ACLS guidelines). Should I do 4 EM elective rotations?
Sadly this probably wont get you into docB's In N Out residency.. The even worse news is that even if you manage to squeeze into some BFE EM residency somewhere you have no hope for a fellowship there either.. :( Sorry!

ERdoc said:
LOL...you guys are hilarious...No but seriously I was feeling pretty down yesterday b/c I put so much time into this exam and didn't feel like I received a score that was reflective of my efforts. Ah well...thanks for the many comments, both supportive and non-supportive ;)

Dude/dudette:

As you may have realized (or not), this question gets asked alot. I would refer you to the FAQ sticky in EM. It covers your question pretty well.

I would not lose sleep over your board scores, although they are not what YOU wanted, you should do fine and will probably get a boat load of interviews. Just continue to do the best you can in your rotations and try to get strong letters of recommendations for your SLORs.

Wook

The In-N-Out residency is so competitive that we don't even accept numeric board scores. Unless your result read "Utter Perfection" and was etched on a golden tablet born by lions and serephim you are just gutter scum. We did let in one guy without a golden perfect but he stormed in, dropped his pants, displayed his manhood and yelled "I'm here to do an EM residency! If you can't top that then shut the hell up!" But that only worked once.

Props to Panda Bead who I was paraphrasing. That method of dealing with things is so great I use it for just about everything now.

StudentDoc327 said:

Hey, I know a specialty that always has open spots, values empathy and people skills highly, and got more competative last year through attrition.

Maybe the OP could try for that.

Panda Bear said:
Hey, I know a specialty that always has open spots, values empathy and people skills highly, and got more competative last year through attrition.

Maybe the OP could try for that.

We all make fun of threads like this, but I say this is an excellent opportunity for us to begin our Post pads!!! its still early in the season and we really need to catch up to gen med this year. I know if we try it we can do it, come on we are EM - producing results daily!